Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,734   Online: 942

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Italy in B&W or Color

How can a person go to Italy and shoot exclusively in B&W with a land that is so colorful?

I don't shoot in color, except digital, but when I go to Italy I could be changing my ways. OK, I shoot something in color, what film and where would I have prints made. I am not setup to do color anymore and really don't want to change everything to do color. 120 seems appropriate but 4x5 would be all right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably many of the old buildings would be fine to stick to B/W. If you go to the Tuscany area, you might want to shoot some colour film. If you don't mind having someone make prints for you of your colour film images, then that is a way to work around needing to do it yourself. I have done my own E-6, which is not too complicated for development, though getting prints made involves having a lab. If you don't mind having LightJet or Chromira, or finding some place to do Ilfocolor prints, that gives you a few more options than enlarger done colour prints from C-41 films.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Velvia 100F

Fuji Pro 160S

The last time I was in Italy, I found it easy to photograph both in B&W and color.

Simply look at a scene and listen to your heart. Italy is all about heart.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Velvia 100 (not F) or Provia 100F. I can give you some leads on where to have them printed if you are interested.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Italy is beautifull in b&w, the old towns offer great scenes that work very well without colour and the landscapes offer great textures and patterns.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I enjoyed the color shots I took in Italy last year. I did take B&W, but found the colors too vibrant. If you get around Venice, try to get over to Burano. A wonderful place in the late afternoon. Tuscany is also very nice in color, but I could have used some B&W in the small villages.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am going to leave the color to my wife and do my favorite, B&W. Too much and noting gets done right. My new way of working is to simplify. If I have the camera up to my eye all the time I won't see any of the land and the people.

Curt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Curt,

Three bodies of LF B&W work come to mind:M. Smith and P Chamlee's stuff on Tuscany, and Jeffrey Curto's Bella Luce (LW last year). If you like looking at other people's work before you go where they've been, these are some great examples. Do enjoy the food, wine and people, it's a great place.

GB

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Look at the b&w portfolio of this italian photographer:

http://www.montiluciano.com/italian-...i-italiani.htm

mmhhhhh, ok,you can say that these images could have been shot in every part of the world, they are noy "tipically" italian, i.e. like the Crete Senesi or Tuscany colour images, but you can do a beautiful work here in Italy with b&w, just only think at Venice or at all those ancient buildings and roman ruins...

Ciao
    Marco

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My last trip to Italy was a Hasselblad and lots of BW film.
    There are forms, shapes, lines and tones as much as there is color.
    Its up to you to decide what you prefer.
    You can't capture everything in one go anyway so you will have to focus.
    There is way to much food for a photographer, you can fill your stomach
    on your very first walk outside, so discipline is a must.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin