Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,231   Online: 843

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extended Stays

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vietnam. Lovely country and people, beautiful scenery, awesome food. Start in the north-east (Ha Long) if it's summer, the south if it's winter and work your way in either direction. Don't stick to the coast, also go inland. The hotels are very reasonable.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't mention Italy in your list Roger, I would think that would be a beautiful and photogenic country to visit, and cheap and easy to get to from your home in France.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Ole,

Unfortunately, 'cheap' is a prerequisite. I hope to spend a few days in Norway sometime, though.

Dear Johnnywalker,

Some friends have just come back from Vietnam, raving about how wonderful it is. Your recommendation strengthens my desire to go there. It's high on the list. Any visa requirements?

Dear Ben,

Thanks for the suggestion of Italy, but I've tried it and can't stand it. I've been there twice (not counting changing planes in 1954). The first time (on a motorcycle in the early-to-mid 90s) we were rear-ended after 45 minutes in the country: Frances would have been killed without a good helmet, and as it was, she couldn't walk for three days.

Several years later -- around 2002 -- we went back with the Land Rover. In a hotel car park, one car-space from the hedge, some idiot shot beween us and the hedge. Five seconds later he'd have had the door off and possibly Frances's leg as well. We saw 5 serious accidents in 3 days in Italy (at least two probably fatal) and NO other serious accidents in the rest of the month in Slovenia, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, Germany...

I've driven/ridden in a number of countries regarded as dangerous -- Malta, India, Mexico, Greece -- but I've never been consistently scared as I was in Italy.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Try New Zealand Roger!!!! It is fantastic.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger, I'm not sure about the visa requirements, except to say be sure to have them in order before you get there. I was told by my Vietnamese client "don't worry about it - I'll look after it when you get here". Well, to make a long story short, he managed it in the end, but I was sweating razor blades for a while. Although the customs people were very polite, they were going to follow the regulations. Finally someone produced a paper that made it all ok. Next time I made sure I had the visa before I left.

I believe you have to have six months left on your passport before they will give you a visa.

I don't know if ANA flys there from Europe, but they are a good, inexpensive airline (related to Evergreen shipping out of Taiwan).

Most of the time I was there I had a car, driver, and "minder", but I stayed there a month on my own with no problems at all. English isn't ubiquitous, but I managed to get some medicine for a sore throat with just sign language. Later the pharmacist came by my hotel to see how I was, and I got an invite to go to his house for a "Tet" holiday celebration. Not one person in the house spoke English, but I had a great time.

The scenery is awesome, and the villages, towns and cities are great places for street and people photography. There are some ethnic people in the interior but they are not used to tourists and I would have an interpreter or guide with me if I decided to visit them.

If you decide to go, for me the "do not miss" places are the islands in the north-east (Ha Long province), and the Central Highlands. I'm sure there are others, but I haven't seen the whole country. I missed the northwest, and the most southerly regions. You wouldn't be disappointed wherever you decided to go.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the Iberian Peninsula. Spain, Portugal, perhaps the Canaries, quick trip to Morocco if desired.

Luke
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ride the train from Paris to Pyongyang

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Canada[/COLOR], at least during the summer. if you come in the winter expect it to be fairly [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]cold[/COLOR].
    Cooki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    My wife and I travel as much as we can: at least 8 weeks a year. Our record year was 6 months out of the country where we were living at the time.

Where would other APUG members recommend for middling-to-long stays (up to 6 weeks, the maximum covered by our annual travel insurance)? A lot depends on living reasonably cheaply ...

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)
    Not withstanding the votes for New Zealand from Robert.

You may very well enjoy Turkey, given the places you have already travelled. Very old culture, wonderful architecture, great food and friendly people.
    The Aegean coastline - Istanbul to Bodrum (with a short stint out to [font=Verdana][size=2]Pamukkale known as the 8th wonder [/size][/font]by the Turks) is a fantastic trip that you can do in about 2-3 weeks.

If you wanted to spend longer and do some serious travelling; head East inland and go ruin and handmade carpet hunting.

Very cheap - can live on $20/day. Beware the 'first to a crossroads has right-of-way' rule. Driving is mad, but not like Italy. Different temperament in the drivers.

My other suggestion would be Thailand or Vietnam.

Not sure about the Visa requirements coming from France.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin