Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,457   Online: 962

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended Stays

Shooter
    35mm RF

Extended Stays

My wife and I travel as much as we can: at least 8 weeks a year. Our record year was 6 months out of the country where we were living at the time.

Where would other APUG members recommend for middling-to-long stays (up to 6 weeks, the maximum covered by our annual travel insurance)? A lot depends on living reasonably cheaply...

Ignore the cost of travel because that's my problem (I live 300 km/200 miles south-west of Paris), but allow for the hassle of getting visas (otherwise we'd spend much more time in India). I'm 56 on June 15th and my wife is a little older so we don't want super-arduous stuff (no camping!), but equally, we have no problems with under-$20-a-night hotels/guesthouses in many countries.

To give you an idea, some of our favourites have been:

India (including Tibetans in exile)
    Mexico (especially Guanajuato)
    Portugal
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    Hungary
    Greece
    Malta (except the wine)
    Transylvania (except the food)

I know this sounds self-indulgent but hey, it's the way we've decided to live our lives. Any ideas? Oh, yes: and when would you recommend going?

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Australia...

or, you could do what I did last year. Go to New Zealand and rent a motor home on the South Island and just drive around and look. You can stop almost anywhere and no one will bother you.
    Last edited by roteague; 06-10-2006 at 11:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Poland is still quite reasonably priced (with the exception of Warsaw) and has many beautiful towns. I usually spend most of my time in Cracow when I'm there, which is a very cosmopolitan university town with a rich history, some wonderful Renaissance architecture, and many interesting events going on all the time.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thailand. The people are beyond friendly, the food is fantastic, and unless you are in the ultra-boonies, you can have access to western-quality medical care if you need it. The architecture is fascinating, as is the history. It is a geographically diverse nation, and depending on the part of the country you are in, a temperate climate (in the north).

Because of the lack of even primary medical care, I can't say Cambodia would be a good place to stay for six weeks at a stretch, but if you are in Thailand, you can easily visit for a week or two, which is highly worth doing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Roger,
    I don't know if you remember, but we discussed Sri Lanka on another forum sometime back. Well, we made our two week trip and it was fantastic! In short, wonderful people, great food, guest houses were clean and comfortable, and there are myriad subjects to photograph. And it's inexpensive. We traveled mostly with a car and driver and he stopped as often and as long as we liked when we saw something to shoot. Plus he varied from the itinerary whenever he thought there might be something we might find of interest. We also used trains which was a blast. Consider Sri Lanka!
    We're preparing for another long distance trip in August. This time to the U.S. My daughter is getting married and I haven't been back in 5 years, so I will not only attend the wedding, I'll get a chance to visit my family and make some photos of the place where I grew up. Can't wait!

Phil

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'd second Thailand and add Burma to the countries you can visit easily while there. Another region much closer to you is the Spanish Basque country, not a 6 week trip, but we found it absolutely wonderful and underpriced, especially if you stay in rural homes/b&bs and drive yourself. Being so nearby, if you haven't spent some time there, you definitely should, especially outside the 3 big cities. And don't miss Vittoria, the one most tourists leave out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would second Australia.
    My parents did a trek across the outback in their fifties, including camping. It was an experience they will never forget and the only way to truly see Australia's natural beauty.
    They organised the trip through Austravel and the company they did the expedition through the outback with was called Bill Kings. I think Bill Kings is now amalgamated into another company called AAT Kings but the safaris are still available and there are many companies who offer them at varying levels. (My preference would be a small group safari in a 4WD through the outback) although many offer luxury coach 'safaris' but you only see 'touristy' outback with these.
    As an aside, if you decide on Australia go between May and September. Unless you are comfortable travelling in 40 degree plus temperatures.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Slovakia as far as I`m concerned, I`ve been there in 2001 at the Tatras mountain range, if you like mountains and landscape photography Roger, that`s my advice, also very cheap!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatra_mountains

Portugal is my country and I know you`ve been there, therefore, I strongly advise that one also!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks everyone for great ideas.

If anyone else has any, I'll add that group travel (no matter how small the group, except us!) is out.

Again, much obliged to everyone.

Cheers,

Roger

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Or you could come this way - Norway isn't cheap, but the landscape is unique. And the summer provides good photography light for 24 hours every day (except when it's raining).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin