Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,426   Online: 943

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My feeling on seeing your initial post was - you can't go far wrong on the west coast - it's spectacular. I actually got the ferry from Newcastle to Bergen then hitch-hiked to Voss, then Oslo, then on to Stockholm and on the ferry to Helsinki. I remember the drive from Voss to Oslo being very long, so the idea of you flying might not be a bad one, although you would miss out on some of the more spectacular fjords. If it wasn't for the small matter of me getting married a few days before, I'd be looking at ferry crossings myself for that meeting!!!!!

Euan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    The drive from Oslo isn't too long. Besides you won't be starting from Oslo, but from Oslo Airport at Gardermoen , which is considerably closer. The distance is less than 300km! So the "grueling drive" will be at the other end, from Stavanger to Oslo/Gardermoen (560km).
    I have just booked the car hire one-way Oslo to Bergen and booked a flight back from Bergen to Oslo. That cuts out the long drive back and gives me more time around the West coast.

And Peter, I assure you there wil still be beer in Bergen towards the end of July.
    That's good to know, I was beginning to panic, thanks Ole.

Thanks also to Euan for your help.

Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Norway is brilliant - a landscape photographer's paradise. You don't really need to move around much either - I dare you to 'use-up' any location in a month. On the downside, stuff is very expensive , e.g. £8 for two apples! If you like eating frozen pizza then you'll be happy, and if you prefer to drive everywhere in 1st gear then you'll love that too. I have no idea about the availability of film (I'm sure Ole can help you out with that), we took our own film with us, likewise local processing (Ole does a good job with plain water).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes, I remember it being expensive (though not compared to Helsinki!). I stayed in youth hostels in Voss and Oslo which were both very nice, and although relatively expensive, you got a sauna and an extremely good breakfast spread in the morning which made all the difference!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbb
    Norway is brilliant - a landscape photographer's paradise. You don't really need to move around much either - I dare you to 'use-up' any location in a month. On the downside, stuff is very expensive , e.g. £8 for two apples! If you like eating frozen pizza then you'll be happy, and if you prefer to drive everywhere in 1st gear then you'll love that too. I have no idea about the availability of film (I'm sure Ole can help you out with that), we took our own film with us, likewise local processing (Ole does a good job with plain water).
    LOL, where did you buy those apples? The normal price is usually around half a GBP for a couple of apples
    Amund

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Amund
    LOL, where did you buy those apples? The normal price is usually around half a GBP for a couple of apples
    The only shop in Loen. I reckon the bloke serving was a relative of Ole - they had agreed to split the profits!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbb
    The only shop in Loen. I reckon the bloke serving was a relative of Ole - they had agreed to split the profits!
    About 80% of the population of Loen are relatives of some kind - but this guy is not. His family is from Olden in the next valley...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    About 80% of the population of Loen are relatives of some kind - but this guy is not. His family is from Olden in the next valley...
    Ah, that explains it. He knew we were guests of yours!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin