Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,800   Online: 671

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Norway

I'm off to Norway for 2 weeks from 21st July. I looking for any recommendations on good places to visit. I will be doing some hiking and of course taking lots of photos. I am flying into Oslo and renting a car. Places of interest to me so far are as follows:

Jotunheimen National Park
    Jostedalsbreen Nation Park
    Voss
    Bergen
    Stavanger & Preikestolen

I plan to stay one or two days in each place.

I would appreciate any advise/knowledge on these places and any where else near them which would be worth visiting.

Thanks,
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When driving remember that a bus will take the middle of the road when you pass it. Find good places to get as far over as possible when meeting one. I remember the drive from Oslo to Haugasund (sp) as being only scarey when we met those busses. Enjoy! Norway is spectacular.
    Non Digital Diva

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you're flying in to Oslo, consider flying right out again to Bergen. That's a far better place to start your itinerary, you won't have a (very long) day's dive to get to the west coast.

Or head north-west, go straight to Jotunheimen then down to Stryn (Jostedalsbreen), south to Fjærland (Jostedalsbreen again), ferry across/along Sognefjorden, up to Voss, then the main road to Bergen, south to Stavanger?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter, I'm in Norway right now. I spent the last 9 days in Lofoten getting rained on so maybe the rain will be all used up for your trip. I have another week or so in Senja before I head down to the Western fjords and the Bergen area for another 3 weeks.

I don't know if you've been to Norway before but make sure you bring lots of cash as things here are very expensive, at least with the US dollar. If you plan on renting a vehicle get a diesel as gas (petrol) here is also very expensive, about 11.4 NOK per liter, diesel is about 10.30. The buses are no big deal, once you've run a few of them off the road they lose any sense of intimidation. The trucks however do not yield at all, they don't even slow down. Also the speed limit here is most often 80 kph, however with the frequency in which you'll pass through towns the speed drops to 50 or 60, so it can take quite a while to get around here. This is the first time I have ever really missed the US interstate highway system.

Ole, I'll be in Bergen around the 14-15th of July, maybe we can get together (maybe Peter too if he's around) hoist a beer and talk some photography.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Great! I'll be here!

I could even make sure that my good friens Antonio has his used camera shop open...
    Norway

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    My gal and I are planning to go to Norway next year. A good friend from Copenhagen suggests to take the ferry route up the Norwegian Fiords. Apparently there is 16 vessels that daily use the route and you can buy tickets to get on and off at different villages. Maybe someone here has taken this trip and can give a more detailed explanation.
    Apparently this is an amazing part of the world.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sailed up to Bergen a few years ago and I must say that even though Norway is spectacular on land, it gets even better from the sea. I am just a bit disapointed that we didn't have time to sail further north, as we had to turn left, (to the Shetland islands) as the nature got better and better the further north we got.

Don't be scared about the weather, there is allways good weather, and allways bad... The usual weather report goes like: "Today we will have rain, thunder and fog, otherwise it will be sunny and fine." This of course make for beutiful light.

I would not drive from Oslo.

/matti

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hurtigruten is what you're looking for. There's only 14 of them, but they do dock at every port every day. I've only ever taken it as far north as Senja, but it's well worth it. If you have 14 days, any time of year, take the round trip Bergen - Kirkenes - Bergen.

Matti: Driving from Oslo is a good idea; driving to Oslo is not.
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks to all of you.

Ole, that route you suggest sounds good, where would be a good place to base myself around Jotunheimen? I was thinking Lom? Would this be a long drive from Oslo? I will be picking up the car as soon as I land in Oslo and heading north west.

Unfortunately it will be towards to end of July before I hit Bergen so I will have to miss that beer.

Peter

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Lom is a great base for Jotunheimen. Fossheim Turisthotell is a very nice place to stay, the prices are surprisinly low, and the chef win the "Bocuse d'Or" some years ago.

The drive from Oslo isn't too long. Besides you won't be starting from Oslo, but from Oslo Airport at Gardermoen , which is considerably closer. The distance is less than 300km! So the "grueling drive" will be at the other end, from Stavanger to Oslo/Gardermoen (560km).

And Peter, I assure you there wil still be beer in Bergen towards the end of July. But I will in all likelyhood be back at work then, and it's a bit difficult to drop in for a beer when I work on an offshore oil rig!
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin