Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,761   Online: 1055

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zion is on fire

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Kalispel Montana would have to go up in flames to stop it. Ask Blaze On (matt) about why I didn't send the first printing out. He was here yesterday, and I gave him one of the rotten copies.

Jason.....You need a gun to scare people? I can do it with a look! Now you know why I hate my picture being taken. Small children would have nightmares.
    I use my gun to shoot at things. If it's out, and pointed at a homo sapiens sapiens, they must need killen, pure and simple. (The paperwork is a bother, though. Damn these modern times.)

The fires out your way are really too bad. The country isn't like the mountains where things bloom and fill in the space over a couple of years. The affected areas will carry the scars for decades. People cause far more fires in this area of the state than nature ever thought of.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Much of the mountains area around here is now closed, due to the STUPID hikers who can't go without a cigarette for a few hours. One year I took La Luz trail up the day it was opened after fire closure. Sure enough there were hikers ascending the steep parts while dragging on their smokes. The picnic areas are still open, fancy that. Yesterday the county had a crew clearing weeds next to the road near my house. One of the workers stopped and lit up, in amongst all the dry weeds.

Don't get me wrong, if you smoke, do so in your house or car but don't do it in the dry woods! These selfish people have ruined it for everybody else, including me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nc5p
    Much of the mountains area around here is now closed, due to the STUPID hikers who can't go without a cigarette for a few hours. One year I took La Luz trail up the day it was opened after fire closure. Sure enough there were hikers ascending the steep parts while dragging on their smokes. The picnic areas are still open, fancy that. Yesterday the county had a crew clearing weeds next to the road near my house. One of the workers stopped and lit up, in amongst all the dry weeds.

Don't get me wrong, if you smoke, do so in your house or car but don't do it in the dry woods! These selfish people have ruined it for everybody else, including me.
    This should more correctly say "because of the stupid smokers..." not all hikers are dumb enough to smoke.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kalispel Montana would have to go up in flames to stop it. Ask Blaze On (matt) about why I didn't send the first printing out. He was here yesterday, and I gave him one of the rotten copies.

Yep, the quality of the images was sorely lacking. Aggie I 'spect the printer used paper plates to save money. Paper Plates don't hold the blacks/shadows well nor print black blacks. I looked at it again when I got home last night and I likened the quality of images to View Camera Mag or worse.

The layout, text/articles was very nice.

By the way, it took me six hours from Vegas to Riverside due to three major hickups on the Freeway. Usually a 3.5 hr drive... all those damn crazy Cal drivers leaving Sin City. Gawd I gotta move...

As for looks, yes, Aggie has some that will make your testicles crawl up inside your tummy in a heartbeat-even if you are of the fairer sex (sans texticles). She don't need no stinkin' gun...
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Makes the 7 inches of rain here yesterday seem less important, though it closed many rail stations a few highways and some buildings (including the IRS).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Has Fatali been up to his tricks again?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What you do is get yourself a HEIDELBERG KORD, go to school for four years in printing and publishing, then print the magazine yourself. A good degree in Visual Communications is needed here. I have that degree, a BS, and if I were to put out such a magazine I would send it overseas to Asia to be printed. We don't have the technical experience and equipment to do anything in the United States anymore. Most young people don't even know what a printing press is. They think it's a little machine called an inkjet. If you can find a company to to the job how do you quality control it? There will be something wrong with each run. From concept to bindery it's an up hill battle. You need to be involved in each and every decision or someone will do the way they want to and not the way you want it.

I was looking at the Brett Weston San Francisco book and the detail is all there; if you use a spot light and a magnifier to see it. It is printed down to the point that "normal" reading light is not bright enough to see the images.

When you hand over the copy to a printer you need to be there at the time of printing to QA the sheets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Zion fire got blasted heavily by air drops, and is out as of early this morning. The St. George/Jarvis fire is about 80% contained, but still kicking up a lot of smoke. If we don't get anymore winds, which we always have, it should be out today. Now for the one I had ignored yesterday since I was more concerned about the two I was sandwiched between, is the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It was a natural blaze started on June8th, they were just going to let burn itself out naturally. I don't know who makes these descisions. We have been running over 100 degree temps, with less than 8% humidity now for a month. The last major fire they had at the North rim was a controlled burn the forest service started when there was 30 mph winds with the same high temps/dry conditions. Well that little fire has since gotten out of control, and well it is easier to read the full story here....

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...yon-fire_x.htm

A codicil to this, they have until further notice closed the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. That is a shame, since it is more spectacular than the South Rim.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A codicil to this, they have until further notice closed the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. That is a shame, since it is more spectacular than the South Rim.
    Do you mean to look at the Rim is more spectacular or the views from the north Rim are more spectacular? Not having been there, but having the intention to one day do so, this would be useful to know!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Do you mean to look at the Rim is more spectacular or the views from the north Rim are more spectacular? Not having been there, but having the intention to one day do so, this would be useful to know!
    Andy, I've never been to the South Rim. I only know the North Rim offers everything one could possibly want: spectacular views, beautiful hiking trails...and a river runs through it. It's also less traveled: most people head to the South Rim because it's more easily accessed, frankly. It takes hours to drive around and enter the park to the North Rim, but for me it's always worth it. In the north, you also gain quick access to the Kolob area, and a 5-6 mile hike in to see the famous Kolob Arch.

When I was last there, fires had recently raged and some areas were closed off and still smoldering. It is painful to think of that happening again, though I appreciate the regenerizing effects of the occasional fire.

I am so happy to hear the Zion fire has been put out! It's one of my favorite places on the planet - period.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin