Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,303   Online: 899

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zion is on fire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Zion is on fire

Well the wildfires that started up near the upper portion of Zion have jumped down into the main canyon. The roads going through the area hwy. 9 is closed to through traffic. On the east of me on the old road going south to Vegas over what is called Utah hill (one of the highest mountains in Utah) is another out of control wildfire, that is closing in on the east side of St. George to many of the communities there like bloomington, and Stanta Clara. No signs of rain until maybe Wednesday. For now I'm safe where I am, but it stinks, and the visiblitity here is down to a couple of miles. For those that have been here a couple of miles is bad. Usually you can see to the Horizon line 50 or more miles away with no obstruction. All of these have been set by humans doing stupid things. It is fire season, and tinder dry with temps in the 110 range. Starting and leaving a camp fire is stupid. Throwing a lit cigarette out the car window is also stupid. So far no homes have burned, but many are now in danger. No lives have been lost, but I'm sure the wildlife has suffered.

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/fire...06177_0300.pdf

the above map will have where the fires are active in red. If it doesn't work, I will put the main page with directions to the fires location along with it on here.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aggie,

That is very unfortunate to hear. I hope that you and your home remain safe.

Certainly hope that the wildlife and forests remain as unscathed as possible and the fires are brought under control as quickly as possible. I certainly would not like to see this gem of a National Park damaged to any degree.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dealing with fires started by dry lightning is bad enough, but those started by stupidity are inexcuseable. Too bad we can't turn stupid people back at the state borders.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    go buy some velvia and take pictures of the sunset. forest fires create some of the most amazing sunsets. maybe wednesdy the rain will come your way.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy5c
    go buy some velvia and take pictures of the sunset. forest fires create some of the most amazing sunsets. maybe wednesdy the rain will come your way.
    Yes, the world needs more sunset photos

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Dealing with fires started by dry lightning is bad enough, but those started by stupidity are inexcuseable. Too bad we can't turn stupid people back at the state borders.
    If Utah turned stupid people back at the borders there would be like maybe 15 people in this whole state.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love chicken on a Sunday but Aggie is one tough bird I would not wish to see roast! Stay safe!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    <rant> OK, pet peeve. When I'm camping and it's 110 degrees why in hell does anyone need a fire. Somehow we have this stupid romantic notion that you aren't camping unless something's on fire. Harley people are the worst. After converting gasoline to noise all day long they have to pull in next to me and make a fire. Then they have to start the damn thing up and rev the motor until the rods stretch about 3 hours after the fire finally died out. Usually about 4:49 AM. IQ = average speed on the hiway. </rant>
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim,

my experiences are even worse. They pull into the camp site and keep the engine going to power their TV's and stereos.

Also, when they pull out, they leave the fire going. I hate putting out other people's campfires.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy5c
    After the fire change to B&W film.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin