Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,838   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Edmonton/Banff in November

Hi all,
    I know there is a wealth of information on Banff in general, but I'm starting here first for a lot of reasons, many very obvious.

I will be in Edmonton area for a conference in early November (4-9 or someting like that). I know that 250 miles isn't that "close" to Banff but it's a lot closer than Northern California, and I feel like it's a place I need to see. I also know it'll be butt cold, but, again, free airfare makes it worth it.

So...I need some help figuring out where to stay and, eventually, what to do. I don't have a huge budget, and I've found a few B&B's for like $75 canadian a night that'll do. I don't know the park at all so don't expect to do everything I want to do or get everything I want out of it, and I am willing to get just a superficial experience if that's the best I can do in 3-4 days.

So...any suggestions? How should I approach this? I am still debating gear, and part of that depends on whether I get some new lenses for my rz67 by then or not.

thanks,
    allan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Allan,

I haven't spent a lot of time in the Rockies, but for the most 'bang for your buck' you might want to scoot over to Jasper then drive to Banff on the Icefields Highway. It'll get you into alpine and take you through some jaw dropping mountain valleys. This is a MUST DO when visiting the Rockies.

There's also a book in the stores there called something like, "Easy Walks and Hikes in the Canadian Rockies". It has information about short trails leading to lakes, waterfalls, etc. that start right beside the road that you wouldn't even know existed without the book. If you're short on time this book would be handy.

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Found it; "Walks and Easy Hikes in the Canadian Rockies" by Graeme Pole, published by Altitude Publishing.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll second what Murray said about Jasper National Park and the Icefield Highway to Banff.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    One last tip...when you drive back north to Jasper, if you have the time, take Highway 1A from Banff to Lake Louise if it's open at that time of year. 1A is the old, winding, 2 lane highway. It took my wife and I all day to get to Lake Louise because we were stopping all the time to check out creeks and walk up ridges.

Murray

Probably I'd do what was suggested but when I got to Banff, instead of turning around, I'd go into Calgary which is only sixty miles. Then I'd take the highway straight up to Edmonton. Calgary to Edmonton is only about 3-4 hours, at 70-75 miles per hour. Straight flat highway.

In fact if possible, try and to get an arrival flight to Edmonton and then a departure from Calgary.

I grew up in Red Deer which is right in the middle of Edmonton and Calgary.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    These are all good suggestions. I'd spend most of my time in the Jasper and Lake Louise areas if I was doing your trip. Banff has it attractions, but is mostly a tourist trap. Early November anywhere in Western Canada is a bit of a crap shoot. It could be sunny, gorgeous and autumn-like, or it could be snowing and blowing. Either way, many photo opportunities.

Bookmark this page, as the forecasts are usually pretty accurate and you'll have some idea what to expect when you start your trip. Good luck!

http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/canada_e.html

John
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I will third this, 1973 I rode a ten speed on this route and I will never forget the this portion of the trip. Saw my first grizzly bear on this route.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker
    I'll second what Murray said about Jasper National Park and the Icefield Highway to Banff.

Something that hasn't been mentioned, and I don't know if I remember correctly, but almost all of this is a National Park.

Someone else can correct me but there aren't many places between the main attractions (Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff) to stay at night.

So you need to plan your days so as to get from point A and have a time line to get to point B. It's dark around 5-530 if I remember correctly.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I went for a trip there around the first to middle of September IIRC and a week after I left it was snowing. Figure it to be cold and most likely snowy. Check the average temps for the time of year below at the link. Have fun driving in it if your from S. Calif.

Banff's a nice town. Alot of young people in the summer and alot of Aussie's for some reason? Moraine Lake and Lake Louise are very pretty. Jasper would be nice but the roads will be "forget about it." Snow on the mountains tops should look nice. Try some shots around the Hotel at Lake Louise. Also go to the ski lodge up the mountain from there.

The average snowfall for Oct- 20cm, Nov- 32cm Average temps for Oct 4.4 deg C ; Nov -4.1 deg C. You might consider going skiing?

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec....s/index_e.html

Just plug in Banff, etc. The real page link was extremely long.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin