Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,945   Posts: 1,557,738   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Off to Kentucky/Tennessee.

Going off to Kentucky and Tennessee. Our trip includes Mammoth cave and Chatannoga (sp?).

Any other ideas in the region?

My wife kaboshed my Graceland suggestion.

Eric
    Dad, is the lens cap suppose to be on?.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    what kind of things are you interested in?

Photography underground is tricky, especially on a tourist trail!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Photographing in the Cave is going to be difficult. I'd take flashbulbs if you have them, but even with a couple #5 or #25, your going to get nothing in the larger rooms and they wont allow tripods. Still, I'm green with envy. I grew up in KY and really miss it.

As to other places to go:

Kentucky:

Red River Gorge (outside of Lexington, great views on easy trails)
    Cumberland Gap State Park (short walk to great falls)
    Louisville/Cincinatti on the Ohio River (lots-o-industry, Roebling Bridge)
    Land Between the Lakes (Eagles! Great views)
    And don't miss out on the great sites to shoot along the backroads

Tenn:
    The Great Smoky Moutains is always good, lots of waterfalls, lots of other nature scenes, great hiking. Perhaps you need a guide? I believe I'm available, at a good rate too!
    The Big South Fork (TN)
    Joyce Kilmer - Slickrock (TN)
    The Blueridge Parkway (TN)

There really are so many and I've been gone for a while, but if I come up with the rest (there are SO many places to go) I'll try to post them here.

- Randy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well between mammoth cave and Chattanooga you will pass through or near Nashville and Lynchburg (home of Jack Daniels). Once in the Chattanooga area you have a variety of places to shoot. The aquarium in Chattanooga is fun, then there is Lookout Mountain for its civil war history, ruby falls if you like caves and don’t forget to see rock city. There are short trips you can make in the area if you like nature try the Ocoee river area for its white water. I hope you have fun on your journey.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Mac
    Any other ideas in the region?
    Try the Daniel Boone National Forest. The Red River Gorge area is particularly nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check out Fall Creek Falls http://state.tn.us/environment/parks/FallCreekFalls/Old Stone Fort http://state.tn.us/environment/parks/OldStoneFort/
    Cumberland Caverns http://www.cumberlandcaverns.com/
    A dinner on the Southern Belle Riverboat http://chattanoogariverboat.com/www
    A vintage train ride http://www.tvrail.com/pages/schedule/index.html

plenty more if you spend a while browsing.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know if you've left yet!

Another good place to check out if you like waterfalls is down in Menifee county called Broke Leg Falls. I was just there a few days ago, and no water was running... But if you get a chance in spring or winter (when it's forzen), it's a cool place to visit. It's right outside of Wellington when you go down KY 460, which you can get from exit 110 off of I-64.

I definately sya go to the Red River Gorge. Absolutely GORGEous. Another thing in KY would be to check out the lakes- they're wonderful as well. My picks would be Dale Hollow Lake and Lauren River Lake.

Have fun in Kentucky!

Images
    Considering how beautiful the country is, it's amazingly difficult to make good landscape photographs. Tennessee waterfalls are about the only thing that everyone seems to shoot successfully -- even Clyde Butcher! They have become as much a cliche as slot canyons are in the West. Skies are so empty at this time of year (except when thunderstorms come) that no filter or polarizer will help. Frankly, I think that Graceland was your best idea. Have a nice trip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't forget the Shaker Village near the Red River Gorge Area; lots of good photographic possibilites there...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Shakertown (Pleasant Hilll) is actualy between Lexington and Harrodsburg, on Harrodsburg Road or Lexington Road depending on where you are leaving from, but it is also a great spot. You can eat there at certain times of the day, but reservations are required and they fill up fast. Please respect the people who live there if you visit - they have very strict rules for behavior.

- Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin