Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,776   Online: 732

Thread: Salton Sea

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Salton Sea

For some time now I have been intrigued by the images I have seen from the Salton Sea. And now that my brother lives in San Diego County, I have two reasons to head down that way.

But before I drag my wife into the middle of the desert, Im wondering if anyone knows if it is still as interesting as it seems, and when a good time to go would be, and where.

Thanks!

Dev

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From what i hear, yes. Winter. Not sure where.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Liked the movie

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You might want to check into its sordid history...Army Corp of Engineers...stealing the Colorado River from Mexico to irrigate California...levees broke for about a year...flooded several towns...etc...

Murray

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Spent 10 years in Palm Spring and have been around Salton Sea a few times.
    The North East side of the "Sea" seems most interesting to me. The South side is mostly agriculture/Farmland.
    Depending on what you are after, August (Despite the heat) could be interesting, The monsoon with its storm clouds coming up from Mexico can make the sky more dramatic than the ever present blue sky in the Desert.
    It is an interesting area with lots of oportunities. Good luck shooting.
    Remember to bring a white dark cloth if you shoot LF

jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    You might want to check into its sordid history...Army Corp of Engineers...stealing the Colorado River from Mexico to irrigate California...levees broke for about a year...flooded several towns...etc...

Murray
    Murray, you should check an accurate account of the history (and prehistory) of the lower Colorado River and the formation of the (current era) Salton Sea.

The US Bureau of Reclamation built Imperial Dam north of Yuma, Arizona on the Colorado River), the All American Canal and the Wellton Mohawk Project(Arizona). These canals with their pumping stations are the system that takes Colorado River water to irrigate the Imperial and Coachella Valleys of California and reclaimed and currently irrigates the Arizona farm lands in the Wellton and Mohawk Valleys.

Runoff from The All American Canal is currently the Salton Sea's primary source of water.

My favorite parts of the Salton Sea are the North Shore and the Wildlife Refuge area near Niland, California.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The Algodone sand dunes are nearby. Be aware of the ATV swarms, though...

Best,

Markus

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin