Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,559   Online: 839

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FAO Photo Contest

Not sure where to put this, but:

FAO is launching a photo contest to recognize the beauty of forests and the people who use them.

Murray??

www.fao.org/forestry/site/35225/en
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tip Johnny - I do have a few Haisla culturally modified cedar images in my quiver. I'll ponder this one for sure, but I'm not big on contests...

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    THE COPYRIGHT WILL PASS TO FAO, BUT I WILL BE CREDITED.

What a crock. They are taking the copyright of anything you enter.

Add to that they can't acknowledge receipt nor will they return anything. Why doesn't the UN use a bunch of the observers running from Lebanon to keep track of the photos?

This is just another scam and a way to take your photos without payment of fees or licensing agreements.

Read the rules and if you enter anything you are a fool.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEaglemtn
    THE COPYRIGHT WILL PASS TO FAO
    As I read it, that part was optional.

The following is a quote from their site;

"A panel of foresters and photographers will select the best 20 photos for display at an international conference on forests, the 18th session of the FAO Committee on Forestry, in March 2007. One of the photographers among the top 20 winners will be invited to attend. Selected photos will be published on the FAO Forestry Web site and in Unasylva, FAO’s international journal of forestry."

This wouldn't be unlike "Insert-Your-Favourite-Nature-Photographer" giving some images to the Sierra Club for a campain to protect an area. The way I see it, this isn't a contest with a $10,000.00 first prize...it's about helping people realize the lasting economic value of mature forests.

Because I don't like contests I probably won't enter, but thank you Johnny for thinking of me. We have probably spent more time 'off trail' than 'on trail' in our forest wanderings, and it makes me feel good that you thought of me

Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    I appreciate the tip-off, and I do sometimes enter contests, but I don't like the UN and strongly suspect that they'll look for a 'winner' whose photo can be used for agit-prop against the West in general, or the US in specific, as usual. So, no.
    Best,

Wiggy

Note to Self: Tse-Tse Fly - No Antidote

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin