Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,389   Online: 838

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Instead of buying...does he/she want to borrow (no cost) an M645 super body...in which case she/he would need both a lens and a light meter. (I have a shift lens which i don't want to loan out and the light meter I use for all my other work) I suppose this equipment could be rented from Levines for a month at a time. Just a thought...

drew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow! What a response.

Things must be prety good over there if there are that many possible places to get gear, compared to here that is.

Drew B. Thank you for the offer, but she is going to purchase a camera.

She started out on my FE2 and moved on to one of our F3HP bodies. As she wears glasses or contact lenses, the viewfinder designed for glasses, has been a winner, although preference for the match needle onboard meter, was a bit of a tug.

We had an F3HP lined up here at a camera repair place. They were going to put in a new shutter, when they pulled it apart it was found to have suffered from water ingress in the past. Plan B was to have a look in the USA whilst she was on her holiday.

What some of you may find interesting, is that this person has been my model for the last year. It became apparent to my wife and I, that she was really interested in photography itself. First the darkroom was visited, then we couldn't keep her away, so to speak.

If you go to my gallery, you will see her wearing a shawl in one of my pictures. She was in the darkroom when this was printed and we both came up with the look and manner in which it was printed.

Subsequently we have managed to make a passable darkroom set-up for next to nothing, picked up a small 35mm colour enlarger and she has been away.

So you never really know if the question or two being asked whilst you are taking the model's photograph, is a serious one or just being polite.

Interesting, eh?

Mick.
    Last edited by Mick Fagan; 07-31-2006 at 03:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Also, I rather not buy used gear from a shop that does a lot of rentals, unless the price is deeply discounted."

Silly. A rental department is always separate from the sales, it has to be.

The requirements of the pro community are such that each piece of rental gear has to be perfect, each piece carefully checked when it comes in and goes out. It may look like hell, but it works great. In a real shop, there is no way rental will be sold: its too valuable.

Below: a corner of the EPL rental department. Of course I'm biased, they're friends !
    Last edited by df cardwell; 07-31-2006 at 07:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i would also suggest epl. they are great! i bought my first speed graphic from them back in the days when they were on lincoln street ... top notch folks there. i do miss paul A since he left

i would however agree with phong regarding the repairwork.
    i too am hopeful that things have changed in the past 10 +/- years ...

--john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Another vote for Newtonville camera. Good service and realistic prices though maybe not the absolute lowest available. I have found his pricing on used equipment very reasonable. With used gear you are also mostly dealing with the owner of the store though there is another salesman who also handles used.

Hunt's in Melrose is also fairly reasonable, though you will get less personalized attention and maybe more generic advice. I have dealt more with their other store in Hadley (not close to Boston).

Sincerely,

Hany.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    New England Camera in Arlington Center is excellent. She can just take the 77 bus from Harvard Square to Arlington Center (about 1 mile from my home in Arlington Heights). The restaraunts are another plus:

Sweet Chile for Thai
    Asiana Grill for eclectic Asian
    A little Italian place whose name escapes me
    Floras in East Arlington on Mass Ave
    Blue Ribbon BBQ on Mass Ave across from Stop & Shop

I hope she enjoys her trip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can't go wrong with any of the stores mentioned, but geography and transportation are factors in our fair city- in what part of town will she be staying?

If she is interested, there's also an APUG show that Whitey is putting together, which opens August 26th or 27th, as well as a darkroom workshop that Suzanne Revy is organizing for the same day. I am sure she would be welcome at both events.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoPete
    You can't go wrong with any of the stores mentioned, but geography and transportation are factors in our fair city- in what part of town will she be staying?

If she is interested, there's also an APUG show that Whitey is putting together, which opens August 26th or 27th, as well as a darkroom workshop that Suzanne Revy is organizing for the same day. I am sure she would be welcome at both events.

Sure would! Check out the New England regional forum for details. Lots of locals to give tips on travel in New England.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure exactly where in Boston she will be staying. I believe she will have transport most of the time. I will be seeing her for the last time before she leaves tonight.

I will most certainly pass on the information about the APUG show along with Suzanne's darkroom workshop.

It could be a very interesting holiday for her.

Mick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin