Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,315   Online: 838

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Secondhand cameras in or around Boston

I have a young(ish) B&W worker who will be holidaying in Boston (USA) and surrounds during August and September.

She is looking to acquire a Nikon F3 HP body and maybe a lens or two.

Are there any camera shops in the area, which may have some secondhand stock of this type?

Obviously there are the online stores like KEH, but it may be possible to find something local.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could try EP Levine's in Boston.

Shooter
    Large Format
    She could try Hunt's in Melrose, Newtonville Camera (in Newton), New England Camera (Arlington), Park Square Camera (Arlington Street in Boston).

Hope that helps,

- Phong

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also Zeff in Belmont, or perhaps Calumet in Cambridge, I believe. Not sure if Calumet carries used gear at that location however. Most of the shops mentioned have a web presence of some sort. Across the border in Nashua, NH is Cameraland. He has a very limited supply of used gear though (but no sales tax). Farther afield in NH is Rays in Keene, not what it used to be, but they still have a largish stock of used gear for a small shop. For selection, Hunt's, and Levine's are probably the best bet.
    Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of the Great Camera Shops on Earth:

EP Levine, 23 Drydock Ave.
    http://www.cameras.com/
    Give 'em a call first: 617-951-1499
    Easy to reach by Public Trans: http://www.cameras.com/Merchant2/mer...ode=directions

THIS is the place.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    First, I would recommend looking in the local shops mentioned and then buying from either KEH or Midwest online or using eBay. At least do some online shopping first so you have good idea of realistic pricing for the gear of interest. Today, with the prices/values of 35mm gear at all time lows many local shops havenot yet caught up to realistic pricing.

Second, while I agree that EP Levine has a great selection I also generally find that they are one of the local shops that has very high prices for their used gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're going to look at local shops, you should at least give them an opportunity to sell to you at a price comparable to a reliable mail order shop (KEH, Midwest) plus a reasonable premium for the benefit of physically having the item to inspect before purchase. And then factor in any warranty (could be better or worse).

If I was visiting, even for 2 months, I'd be leery of eBay unless from a very reputable seller.

I'd be especially careful buying a F3. It seems that 90% of the ones I've seen have been used professionally so long and so hard that I'd be very careful about condition. No doubt there are good ones out there, but she may have to "kiss a lot of frogs".

I'd also suggest monitoring Craigslist for the Boston area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Call Dick Welch at 978-897-6202. If you are really lucky, you may get him. ANYTHING he sells you will be unconditionally returnable and covered 100%. I have found him to be one of the world's nicest, and most trustworthy people. He is, however, seldom in a hurry. While this is nice, it can also be frustrating if you are on a schedule. Forewarned.

If he has the camera you want, and he very well may since his Nikon stock is pretty broadly representable of what's out there, he will give you a fair price and negotiate discounts with kindness, generosity (he loves to give students a break) and good will.

The other shops mentioned in this thread are great places. Zeff has been running trade-in and yard-sale days this summer, taking in a lot of good used equipment from folks wanting high level "electronic image making" gear and dumping great 35 and med-form cameras. I'm not sure these are still going, but they did take a lot in trade.

Dick does not have a shop. He works (sometimes) out of a third floor set of rooms in Maynard MA, filtering through an astounding collection of cameras, camera gear and "stuff."

I'll ask him if I may give out his home number through PM. It's a much more likely hit than the office number. PM me if you want it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris
    .... while I agree that EP Levine has a great selection I also generally find that they are one of the local shops that has very high prices for their used gear.
    EXPERT help, SUPERB used gear, FIRST-RATE on-site repair shop.

There is no better camera shop in North America
    ( the ONLY competitor being Keeble & Shuchat, in Palo Alto, Ca. )

As for 'higher prices', the staff is paid a decent wage and that is how folks who KNOW there stuff are hired, and why they stay.

The clientele is generally not comprised of bottom-feeding wannabees but real shooters who buy good stuff, care for it, and have their gear maintained there.

There is an extensive rental department, and superb studio spaces.

All of this means a completely different atmosphere and set of expectations than from a big-box-store or mail-order outfit.

You get what you pay for. And EPL is nearly always a bargain
    if you are actually going to use the camera.

Consider this, too. If a store is selling a camera for less, it means they didn't pay as much for it. Often, stuff ISN'T purchased by more expensive stores that ends up at cheaper stores, or on Ebay. Or at 'reputable' mail order shops.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    [Re. E.P Levine] EXPERT help, SUPERB used gear, FIRST-RATE on-site repair shop.

There is no better camera shop in North America
    ( the ONLY competitor being Keeble & Shuchat, in Palo Alto, Ca. )
    While I used E.P. Levine extensively, especially for rentals, I had a truly horrible experience with their repair department (3 month delay on a standard repair for a current camera, unanswered phone, unreturned phone calls). They later admitted to some problems with the then newly reorganized repair department (taking over the former S.K. Grimes outfit at that location). That it took them so long to recognize the problem, was very problematic to me.

Anyway, I understand things are better now, and I do think of them as a great local resource, but I would disagree strongly with "no better shop in North America", given my experience.

Also, I rather not buy used gear from a shop that does a lot of rentals, unless the price is deeply discounted.

Just my opinion.

- Phong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin