Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,144   Online: 967

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD
    I reside in the Southeast, in the Atlanta area. I've been thinking some wide open spaces out west would be a nice change for me.
    You're not kidding. The eastern Sierra would be a dramatic change and a great experience. After a year back on the east coast, I could use a dose of US395 myself. Follow the advice others give/have given; you won't regret it.

Ditto the Bristlecones.

Cheers,
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I don't think you will have any trouble finding subject matter for photos. Make sure and spend time in Bishop, it is a wonderful Main Street town with great restaurants and ambience. The bakery there is just fabulous for A.M. coffee and treat...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And while you're on Main Street in Bishop, make time for a visit to the late Galen Rowell's Mountain Light Gallery... it is truly inspiring.
    Bob

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hello,

I have a week available, and am toying with the idea of spending it in the High Sierras of California. I reside in the Southeast, in the Atlanta area. I've been thinking some wide open spaces out west would be a nice change for me. I have been to yosimite before- driving out from San Fran, and am not really interested in re-visiting this area. In particular, I was thinking of the Lone Pine area. I typically shoot 4x5 black and white.

Here is some things that I hope maybe some people can give me advice on: particular sites of interest- best/worst times of the year to travel to this area, lodging/camping, other things I might consider in the general area, advice as to maps and navigating, and maybe any other tips you would like to share.

If the trip comes about, hopefully I can reciprocate by sharing some photos here. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Although it's already been suggested - I can't stress enough - Alabama Hills and the Death valley area - a great time for both would be between February and March - I have been to both several times and never tire of the area.
    Climbabout

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sorry for the delay in answering back to my own post. First, I want to heartily thank everyone for good leads! I'll be googling a lot attemping to find out more about all the locations you alluded to! I am getting psyched.

I am looking at probably being in the area the second week of October, and, after reading the posts, I probably won't be confining myself to one area- looks like I'll be driving a lot, but I like that. I hope October, generally speaking, will be nice, weather wise. Or, at least, I hope I won't roast, or freeze. I am already roasting in Atlanta, currently.

I am intrigued by the Bristle Cone forest people have mentioned. Can anyone comment a bit further on it? Where exactly is this? Even better yet, if someone has a topozone url, for a location, that would be awesome (www.topozone.com).

Again, thanks for the wonderful response. I know I'll only scratch the surface in a weeks trip, but at least I won't feel quite as clueless as I prowl around looking for images.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The topo map for Schulman Grove is here.

Some 5X7's done about 3 years ago are here.

The Ancient Bristlecone Forest is in the White Mountain range E. of highway 395 and Bishop / Big Pine Ca. The white mountains are the e. border of Owens Valley with the High Sierras being the W.

What month would you be coming? Death valley is great in the winter while Bristlecones are great in summer. 11,000 feet elevation difference in a very few miles as the birds fly.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    The topo map for Schulman Grove is here.

Some 5X7's done about 3 years ago are here.

The Ancient Bristlecone Forest is in the White Mountain range E. of highway 395 and Bishop / Big Pine Ca. The white mountains are the e. border of Owens Valley with the High Sierras being the W.

What month would you be coming? Death valley is great in the winter while Bristlecones are great in summer. 11,000 feet elevation difference in a very few miles as the birds fly.

I'm thinking I'll be there in mid October, if things pan out right. Looks like 395 has plenty of diversions for a photographer!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am intrigued by the Bristle Cone forest people have mentioned. Can anyone comment a bit further on it?
    Just to add to what others have said about the Bristlecones - keep going right to the top but be aware that the track is rough and consists of sharp flinty stones for some miles. If you take highway tyres they may not survive the trip.
    I went in a hired 4x4 and had a completely shredded tyre. Local people who stopped (always very briefly!) as they passed me changing the wheel all advised at least 6-8 ply tryes and 2 spares. My 4x4 had highway tyres. Alamo were very unco-operative and pointed out that according to the small print on the contract I shouldn't have taken the 4x4 off a tarmac surface, (which seemed rather pointless to me to pay all that extra to stay on a sealed road!) and that 'violating' these conditions made all the insurance void - so be warned on both counts. It's worth it when you get there though and when I go back I will explore the possibility of hiring a true off road vehicle by the day.
    Tim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm thinking I'll be there in mid October, if things pan out right. Looks like 395 has plenty of diversions for a photographer!
    Jeff-

Mid-October is a fantastic time to be there - the weather is terrific. All of 395 has something for the photographer. Another thing to look for are the Native American petroglyphs. To get a map/directions to visit them, stop in the Bureau of Land Management office in downtown Bishop (it's right on the main street, with a little park out front). They will give you a pamphlet with driving directions on how to find the petroglyphs, but you will have to sign an agreement to get it. This is to prevent vandals from going out to deface them. If you decide to do this, I can also advise you to be very careful with the directions. They tell you how to find everything in miles travelled from certain points. There are no markers on the road to indicate where to stop for the petroglyphs, again, to reduce the possibility of vandals. I went to find some, wasn't paying attention to specific distances, turned off the road (which is a maintained, but not sealed surface road), and ended up getting my car stuck on the extremely high shoulder of the road. Thanks to a AAA bureaucratic snafu, I ended up spending two hours sitting in the sun on the side of an empty desert road, with my vehicle the only shade in sight. For future advice, to avoid this problem, just park on the edge of the road and walk back. Traffic on the road in question is very minimal, so nobody will come along and be unable to get around you.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Contact Per Volquartz to see when his free workshop in the Eastern Sierra falls. If you are lucky enough to be there at the same time you may run into a bunch of the nicest people with big cameras and like minds on the planet.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin