Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,938   Online: 801

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Photo Musts in N VA/Maryland/New York/Pennsylvania kind of area?

Hi,

I will be taking some leave in the vague area mentioned and staying in Woodbridge VA. Anyone got any hot tips for places to go whether great landscapes, city scenes etc.

Oh also, great photography galleries would be great too as you cannot beat going to a new place with loads of confidence then seeing how much better 'real photographers are'. Seriously, Galleries would be fantastic. My wife will enjoy her time with me on leave ;S

Cheers,

Tom

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The area is full of monuments and museums and such, but to get off the beaten path a bit, try the National Arboretum, Great Falls, Roosevelt Island, Alexandria (Old Town, Del Ray, and Fort Ward Park), Capitol Hill, Manassas (Bull Run to yankees), assorted other battlefields within a days drive, Fredericksburg, the Northern Neck of Virginia, the Eastern Shore of Maryland and Virginia (nice artist's colony in Easton, MD), the Chesapeake, Tangier Island.... I could go on for pages, and then I am sure Flying Camera and others would name spots I have missed. How long are you going to be here and what kinds of things do you want to see?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    Hi,

I will be taking some leave in the vague area mentioned and staying in Woodbridge VA. Anyone got any hot tips for places to go whether great landscapes, city scenes etc.

Oh also, great photography galleries would be great too as you cannot beat going to a new place with loads of confidence then seeing how much better 'real photographers are'. Seriously, Galleries would be fantastic. My wife will enjoy her time with me on leave ;S

Cheers,

Tom
    http://www.nyc.com/

http://www.nyctourist.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi there. Let us know when you're coming to town, and I can get the local guys out to take you on a shoot to some of the more off-the-beaten-path stuff. As DBP mentioned, there are LOTS of non-cliche-touristy-crap things to photograph. I can also show you some interesting DC neighborhoods if you're in to that kind of thing. Tons of terrific places to go for anything you want to see, just give me some specific interests and your travel range. Do you want to keep it within an hour of th DC metro area, or are you willing to do a half-day's worth of driving to get to a subject?

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And unless you really enjoy driving slowly in heavy traffic, you may want to spend some time going east, west, and south. The choices really are endless. Unless you want to photograph treeless mountains, deep clear ocean, or heavy surf, you can find it here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you're into hiking/backpacking, Shenandoah Ntl Park is a short drive to the west.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure it's cliche (but what isn't?), but nighttime on The Mall in DC is always great. See about getting a tripod permit, though.

Arlington National Cemetery, which obviously requires a high level of care and respect.

The waterfront north and south of Philadelphia is great for old abandoned buildings and great architecture. Someone to watch your back is helpful, though.

Shenandoah, and most of West Virginia are always good. Dolly Sods in the fall is beautiful, but a bit of a drive.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The only place you need a tripod permit on the National Mall is on the Capitol grounds themselves. All the rest of the monuments are free rein. I suppose you might get yelled at by a park ranger if you had the spike feet out and were dragging them across the marble somewhere. I have made a point to ask about bringing a tripod for night shooting at the memorials and was told by uniformed Park Service rangers that it was ok, no special permit needed. I've even shot commercial portrait jobs at the WW II memorial in the daytime with my 4x5 on a tripod, plus reflectors on a light stand. I was photographing a full Colonel in the US Air Force in his dress blues, so he drew a LOT of attention. Some strange woman came up to him and said, tearfully, "I just have to tell you... you're my HEEERO!" That was a bit much even for him, and he's easier to turn on than a lightswitch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although I don't have any photos to share of the sites (because I was in town on business and forgot my kit), but there is a canal (B&O I think??) which runs along the river, which has some really cool photo possibilities. Georgetown is also acool area. The rapids (but probably not very turbulent in August) area north of town is another. NoVA horse farm country is another...

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    Although I don't have any photos to share of the sites (because I was in town on business and forgot my kit), but there is a canal (B&O I think??) which runs along the river, which has some really cool photo possibilities. Georgetown is also acool area. The rapids (but probably not very turbulent in August) area north of town is another. NoVA horse farm country is another...
    C&O Canal. And the rapids area is Great Falls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin