Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,125   Online: 1060

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    Does anyone know objectively and from personal experience how much harm airport luggage scanning is actually likely to do to film?
    A lot. I wouldn't even try. Sometimes it doesn't go through, but if it does, consider it ruined.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    NOT HEARSAY, NOT SPECULATION, NOT FOLKLORE, NOT URBAN LEGEND, BUT SCIENCE:

http://www.kodak.com/cluster/global/.../tib5201.shtml

ALSO PAY ATTENTION TO THE REFERENCES... I3A IS AN INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION THAT ACTUALLY PERFORMED SCIENTIFICALLY VALID EXPERIMENTATION ON THE EFFECTS OF X-RAY ON FILM, BOTH THE CARRY-ON MACHINES (RAPISCAN) AND THE CHECKED BAGGAGE MACHINES (INVISION CTX).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I'm back. As a follow up I'll cover a few points that may be of interest to people.

To cover the main topic of the thread, I found a box (of 5 rolls) of 120 velvia in a photography shop in Reykjavik called Hans Petersen on Bankastraeti (oposite the old government building). The cost was 4300 Kr, which being over 4000 Kr meant I could claim back some of the tax (550 Kr), but was still twice what I paid in the UK. They also had a few boxes of black and white films in 120 as well. In future, with more time allowed for planning, posting film ahead is probably the way to go.

Now, on to some of the other points raised. (I guess this all really belongs in the 'locations' forum now, I only asked in the colour film forum originally as it seemed more active and likely to get a quick answer, and it was a question about film after all. Can the thread be moved to another forum somehow ?)

The comment about going by ferry is actually quite valid. For anything over a 2 week trip, and using a 'real' 4x4 vehicle, it actually works out cheaper to bring your own vehicle across from the UK or continental Europe than flying in and renting. This assumes of course that you have a 4x4 or a 2 wheel drive car that you don't mind getting trashed - the best locations are a good vehicle trashing drive to get to.

As far as the X-ray scanning goes, I asked the staff at Heathrow if I could take the film through as carry on and they said no, but assured me the checked-in scanners were no worse than the hand baggage scanners and would not cause a problem with one scan. I don't believe them but as I brought the film back again I will put a roll through the camera to see what effect it has had. In the hope of minimising mechanical handling and shocks I took the 'Peli Case' containing my cameras to the oversize baggage check in. This experience then confirmed my pesimistic view that using a lead bag just results in the operators turning up X-rays to eleven until they can see inside it. My medium format camera is a Horseman 980 technical camera, which when folded up is basically a solid block of aluminium. Because the operator could only see a dark square blob they put it through the scanner three times (probably increasing the power each time) before giving up and asking me to open the box for a hand search. The film was in my rucksack which hopefully only got one standard dose at the end of the check in conveyor belt.

Incidently, last year I went on a short duration 'round the world' trip and a couple of rolls of 35mm Velvia 50 I had must have gone through 10-12 hand baggage scanners with no visible ill effects.

On the way back the only restrictions for carry on luggage was taking liquids through the security check, and I think things are a lot less restrictive at Heathrow now.

I think that's everything covered.

Crispin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    First at all I hope you enjoyed the trip and glad you're safe back again because thats the main reason for all those security measurements and limitations we have now.

Thanks for sharing this first hand information. I agree that posting film ahead is the way to go or buy locally on a respectable photo store, if of course possible.

Best regards,

Robert

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm just back from Iceland from London too, having carried my film through the hand- baggage system both ways with no issues. Like others I fly a lot and have often had film scanned on a hand baggage system many times with no visible effects.

I guess the point of posting is that now that things seem to have settled at UK airports, there's no need to search out extremely expensive film at destinations. 4300 Krona may be twice what you paid but frankly its three times what I pay after I've reclaimed VAT, and between myself and my wife we carried 100 rolls of 120/220 in our carry-on easily enough.

Personally I'd be more nervous about the fate of film posted to a hotel to arrive several days before my booking than about putting it in my carry-on.

Incidentally I know that 4x4 hire in Iceland is expensive and checked out a lot of options, so in that context I was rather pleased that Avis, on my frequent user card, hired us a medium sized Hyundai for £572 for 8 days, on the full understanding that I was going to use it on F roads and to ford the odd river. I should also point out however that I have an annual policy to cover uninsured damage to rental cars which means I don't have to take out the super CDW to reduce the excess to a sensible amount. The point here is I guess that given 2500km on mostly rough roads, the risk of breakdown etc and I'd rather be driving someone else's vehicle than anything I owned!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thread moved to "Geographic Location" where it belongs.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello David,
    I hope you had as great a time in Iceland as I did.

Yes, taking film as carry-on baggage is the best way, I think almost everyone is in agreement that hand baggage X-rays are OK. The point of sending film ahead is to avoid the risk of turning up at Heathrow on the morning of August 10th 2006 (or on any future date there's a similar 'terrorist alert') with a bag full of £150 worth of film and be told that it has to be checked in, and go through the check-in baggage X-ray, which I think almost everyone agrees is not so good for film. Out of interest what would you have done/do in such a situation (for arguments sake they refuse a special hand search of the film as the security people are FAR too busy as it is, it's check-in X-ray or it stays behind ) ? So yes, we can now take film as carry on, but the risk remains that we might have to check it in when we turn up at the airport, and as a pro how does the risk of forwarding at least some film to your destination compare to turning up with a bag full of potentially fogged film and the only film available is a box of 5 rolls for 4300kr ?
    I hope that doesn't sound confrontational, it isn't meant to be at all, I'm just intrigued by your very relaxed attitude :0)

On the hire car topic, yes I'd be happier bending a (discounted) hire car knowing that my extra insurance will pick up the bill :0) Unfortunately I only hire a car once a year so the risk of a breakdown would, for me, be easily offset by the costs of hiring a Landrover for 2-3 weeks compared with ferrying over my own car (or that of someone foolish enough to lend to me). May I be so bold as to ask how much the personal hire car insurance costs and where it is available ?

Looking forward to seeing your Iceland photos on your website (mine aren't back from the lab yet :0( )

Crispin

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did enjoy it thanks, though I feel I wasn't often in the right place at the right time in variable weather and no experience of the place. I viewed this, as with most of my trips, as a form of reconnaissance, and its highly possible I'll go again.

I guess the circumstances you outline, getting a surprise at the airport, are possible though I consider this unlikely to the point that I don't want to plan for it. If it occurred my first consideration would be whether I wanted to travel at all given the risks and delays of the day and the fact that most of what I do isn't tightly time-constrained. If I did proceed then living as I do 15 mins from LHR and a half hour from LGW I'm sure I could persuade someone to bring my Pelicase (if I'd planned to travel without it) so I could check my gear and take away the film I couldn't carry. If my destination was a large city I'd assume I could buy film there and again someone would do a web-search to pinpoint where. If all this was just too difficult I'd use my Fedex Account ( not the postal service)to get film to me the following day, if possible collecting it from a Fedex office.

I have an insurance policy from http://www.insurance4carhire.com who seem to offer a range of products covering different geographical ranges and reflecting CDW or equivalent conventions in different countries. They start at £49 pa and whilst it looks good value I haven't yet had to claim and as people say, you find out about your insurer when you have to claim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was expecting the insurance to cost more so thanks for the tip. A quick web search only produced comments that people had claimed and been paid without problem, so it looks reasonably reputable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin