Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,632   Online: 677

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Where to buy 120 film in Iceland ?

I'm due to fly to Iceland from London Heathrow for two weeks tomorrow but because of a bomb threat today ALL carry on luggage has been banned from UK flights, as I understand all you are allowed is your passport and money. This means the Velvia I'm planning to take will have to go through check-in Xray machines, which I understand is not good.

Can anyone tell me if and where I can buy 120 velvia in Iceland (presumably Reykjavik)?

Is a single trip through a check in Xray machine likely to fog 100ISO velvia ? (If risking it I would certainly post the exposed film back home).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Crispin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What I have understand from collegues who has visiting Iceland is that specially film is rediculous expensive. So I should fill my jacket with Velvia roll films and put it if necessary into the hand luggage X-ray machine. Slow and medium speed films will not be a problem.

Have a safe trip

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, given the recent events and the ban on all carry-on luggage for flights from England, perhaps you should consider a nice sketch pad and set of coloured pencils.

Are you really willing to put your cameras into checked baggage?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The sketch pad idea is a nice one, but unfortunately my drawing abilities stem from the stick figure school.
    I've just been offered the loan of a 'Peli' style case from work so given the choice between 2 weeks in Iceland without a camera and the what I consider an acceptable risk to check them in, they're going.

Robert, as Brian says ALL carry on items are currently banned, you cannot even take a newspaper or book to read, so a box full of cylindrical objects wrapped in silver foil will not amuse the security staff. I think the ban on most items is more to do with reducing delays as EVERYTHING is being hand searched.

I'm expecting to pay over the odds for film in Iceland, but the choice is no-film, or the risk of taking back a pile of fogged film. I guess that 120 velvia must be available in Iceland as there are quite a few serious photographers there, but whether and where it can be bought over the counter is what I am trying to find out. Unfortunately time is against me, if this had happened a week ago I would have had time to make appropriate arrangements.

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't forget that you'll need to find (and allow time for) E6 processing as well in case these bans are still in force when you return.

In response eto the issue raised on checking camera equipment, I very often travel with two systems and check one of them. I'd certainly take a small risk of damage or loss than accept the inevitability of no photographs. I do have insurance though.

Take a digital p&s in case you can't find film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crispinuk
    Can anyone tell me if and where I can buy 120 velvia in Iceland (presumably Reykjavik)?
    I'm sorry, I haven't had any luck with anything in bulk. You will also pay a hefty price if you do find anything. Have you considered having it specially shipped?

ALso... news here is that you can take carry-on, but nothing liquid or gel. You may want to double check the new rules.

Good luck and have a great time!

Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In that case your camera equipment must be in the luggage too. If the security is on level red maybe you can arrange to send a parcel to your hotel in Iceland with post express. Always cheaper than searching and buying 120 roll films (if available) on Iceland. The same you can do with your exposed films if you can not have the E-6 development in time. Put some airpack envelopes in your luggage.

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Do you have a planned destination in Iceland such as a hotel or guest home? If so, you could send the film via mail or courier service ahead to time to be held for your arrival.

Also, I would expect that the ban on hand luggage is a short-term situation. Pics over here show people carrying on items but using clear plastic bags issued by the authorities.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mail the film ahead, perhaps?

Poste Restante
    Reykjavik
    ?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the various suggestions.
    George, the clear plastic bags are for carrying the few items that are allowed, there's what appears to be a definitive list of allowed items produced by British Airport Authorities and it doesn't include film.

Sending film poste restante is a good idea but as I'm leaving tomorrow and it may take several days (including a weekend) to get there I don't really want to be hanging around Reykjavik rather than heading east. It's something I will be seriously considering in future though. As I'm camping I can't really arrange a courier to drop at a particular destination, especially given the very short timescale.(Been at work all day so haven't been able to arrange much other than a bit of sneaky forum use).

I've decided to take the film anyway, if it has to go in the hold I'll try and buy in Reykjavik, if I can find some then I'll write off the stuff I brought with me (20 quids worth of film isn't much compared to what the car hire is costing me!). If I can't find any I'll use what I brought anyway and if it has to be checked into the hold on the return I'll post it back. If I'm lucky it may come out OK, if not I'll still have what I shot on my D*git*l SLR, which is coming with me anyway as backup and for general holiday shots. One of the reasons I recently bought the MF camera was to take with me to Iceland, so it would be a shame to leave it behind.

Crispin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin