Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,470   Online: 953

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: London Pubs?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The stones at Castlerigg are at the other end of the country, in the Lake District (Cumbria). However, both Avebury and St. Thomas Beckett Church are within a day trip from London if you have a car (about 2 hours west from London to Avebury, and 3 hours south east to Romney Marsh). I do not think either are practical by public transport unless you enjoy waiting hours for buses... Avebury: http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...0&scale=200000 & Church at Fairfield: http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...10&scale=50000 The other postcard of the angler on his way home was also shot near the church, on Winchelsea beach.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    As mentioned there are lots of pubs. I would try to get out of the Trafalgar Square area, its not got much character, although the nice pubs are (all with excellent beer)

The Harp, 47 Chandos Place - the best really central pub
    The Dog and Duck, 18 Bateman Street (tiny, so gets very busy)

Not much further away:
    The Princess Louise, 208-9 High Holborn - probably the finest pub interior in London
    The Market Porter, by Borough Market - best reasonably central selection of beer

Photography in pubs is generally fine, they are public places. They are *very* dark usually though.

For photographing people in pubs I would recommend going a bit further out of the centre to a more residential area, can give lots of recommendations (eg one of my locals, the Pineapple, Leverton Street, Kentish Town).

For interiors and pubs of architectural interest, let me know I have one or two of the CAMRA historic London pubs books.

Oh and have a great time!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What do you mean by 'London'? The pubs in the central area are very touristy & pricey. If you like decent beer, why not try the Campaign for Real Ale (http://www.camra.org.uk/), you could arrange your own pub crawl!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's begining to sound like you may need a tripod after visiting the first pub. The St. George, off Brough High St is a must, close to London Bridge, and Borough tube station. It's one of the oldest pubs, plenty of character.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hello all and thanks for the great info so far...yes I will be free to move about the city and local pubs would be of great interest, and thanks Bob for the info on your wonderful photos....It is my first trip of several upcoming trips to London and so I am quite up for it!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The George is indeed an interesting site, being an old coaching inn. However, be warned that it's owned by the National Trust (An English/Welsh charity who maintain many buildings, gardens etc.) who can get quite shirty about photography. The same can be said for some of the more popular/famous pubs, they know the value of the image and may challenge you if they think you are a professional. A 'professional' as we all know, is someone who uses a tripod, has a large or unusual camera or turns up with a full lighting kit, assitants and calls everyone darling. It was for the latter reason that Roger Hicks kept getting into so much trouble. Apparently.

If you have an idea of the sort of pubs you are interested in - e.g. small local ones, historic, famous, large, small etc - I'm sure we could come up with a list. don't assume that a photographic pub has decent beer, or vica-versa.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's years since I lived in The Smoke and i can't remember many pubs - apart from the half-moon in Herne Hill - gret music and not far from the Velodrome. Do try some Porter - lovely dark beer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It'd be nice if these "beer" threads were made "sticky" so we could find them easily in the future....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave, have a great trip and a pint for me!
    Let me ask you something. If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

- Anton Chigurh

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh
    Dave, have a great trip and a pint for me!
    Hello Dinesh,

If my foggy memory serves me correctly, it would be a wee bit more than a Pint for Dinesh!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin