Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,356   Online: 738

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: London Pubs?

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

London Pubs?

Recommended Pubs and brews appreciated. Also is photography welcomed.

Any London or surrounding area ok, I will be in the Trafalgar Square vicinity.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wow! The one I remember(long for!) the most was Churchill Arms. The best Thai food and beer I found in London, when we visited in 2004. The nearest tube is Notting Hill Gate. As far as photography: 108_0809.jpg 108_0820.jpg

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Plummeri,

So I guess it is not out of line to shoot photos in the pub?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I shot this discretely in a pub in Belfast, N. Ireland. I'd say go for it. BTW, any pub that says "Whetherspoons" is part of an English chain. Less character but reliably good food. Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Belfast.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blimey - there are over 4000 pubs in London: how long are you staying?...

Trafalgar Square? Hmmm... You could take a short stroll along to Covent Garden and listen to some classical (and other types of) music from buskers while having a pint outside (weather permitting, though some areas of the Market itself are covered). Plenty of different types of establishments in that area, from swish Wine Bar / restaurants to a 300 year old pub that used to be a prizefighting venue - I forget the name, it's tucked around the corner. Being a touristy area, they are presumably used to cameras. Being popular, it does get crowded, especially Friday evenings and weekends.

Beers depend on what you are looking for. Stouts like Young's Oatmeal Stout will put hairs on your chest (and is surprisingly smooth). If you prefer a traditional bitter, then anything that comes out of a pull-handle pump will do you. It really depends what you are used to and how much you want to experiment - there are really too many options - you'll just have to force yourself to try as many as possible....

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like an Ol' Thumper myself.

I seem to remember 'The Star'(?), St Johns Wood as being pretty good. Small and friendly. Been a long while though.

Say Bob, something different can't quite place it .... um new haircut?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should have seen the hair a year or so before this one was taken (around 1961-62) - a pudding-basin job... Eeeeeek!

Theakston's Old Peculiar is expensive but very fine if you can find it, as is Shepherd Neame's Abbots Finger (no, I'm not making these names up). Both are quite dark and strong tasting so probably not for the average lager drinker - down a pint of something else first to get your taste buds acclimatized...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    ... Theakston's Old Peculiar is expensive but very fine...
    You have refined taste in beers. Another favourite. We can get it here but only in a place called the London Bar (true!), where you can normally afford one of those or an evening of others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, but we get it on draught - but at a cost of about 50% more than an average pint...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    Blimey - there are over 4000 pubs in London: how long are you staying?...

Trafalgar Square? Hmmm... You could take a short stroll along to Covent Garden and listen to some classical (and other types of) music from buskers while having a pint outside (weather permitting, though some areas of the Market itself are covered). Plenty of different types of establishments in that area, from swish Wine Bar / restaurants to a 300 year old pub that used to be a prizefighting venue - I forget the name, it's tucked around the corner. Being a touristy area, they are presumably used to cameras. Being popular, it does get crowded, especially Friday evenings and weekends.

Beers depend on what you are looking for. Stouts like Young's Oatmeal Stout will put hairs on your chest (and is surprisingly smooth). If you prefer a traditional bitter, then anything that comes out of a pull-handle pump will do you. It really depends what you are used to and how much you want to experiment - there are really too many options - you'll just have to force yourself to try as many as possible....

Cheers, Bob.
    Thanks Bob, I will be in London about a week, and I actually do like stout...have a sixer or Russian Imperial in the fridge at the moment, I am interested in experimenting a bit as you all are reported to have more than a bit of the best! BTW Your photograph "A misty mornings congregation-The Becket church" and the stone circle photos, were they taken far from London? not to hijack my own thread but...
    Thanks again
    Dave in Vegas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin