Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,539   Posts: 1,544,287   Online: 808

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a restaurant in Beijing called the "Sick Duck". They specialize in duck, as you may have guessed. The "sick" part of the name is because they are near a hospital. It was a favourite restaurant for the Chinese to take visiting dignitaries.

There are a few (maybe more) Mongolian restaurants, and I think they all serve lamb.

"Silk Alley" is a really busy market, and lots of fun to visit. Lots of bargains.

Beijing is huge, and I wouldn't try and wander around on my own. Tours and/or taxis to specific places are the best bet. As someone said, take a piece of stationery from the hotel with you to show the cab driver.

The fish is almost always carp, and not the most tasty of fish in my opinion.

Try going to the city parks early in the morning for some great people shooting.

The local white lightning is very potent, and the locals love trying to see how much the foreigners can handle. "Gam Bei" means "put your bottoms up", and this is the only way to drink it.

Beijing is very safe. I haven't been there in a few years but I'd love to go back. Have fun.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Alex,

Here is the website for the restaurant: http://www.quanjude.com.cn/defult.html
    if you can't open it, I have the address and phone number for you.

Address: No. 14, Qianmen West Street, Beijing, P.R.China
    Post Code:100051
    Tel:86-10-63048987 Fax:86-10-63048990
    E-mail:intl@chinaquanjude.com

Also, I think you are looking for shen-hao distributor in Beijing, here is the phone number and address, show it to the cab driver, you will be there in no time.

北京绿影室摄影器材公司
    北京市西城区西单新文华街16号
    T:010-66012499
    F:010-66017499
    Contact Mr. Zhong

If nobody speak you language there, just let me know what do you want and I will translate for you and maybe call him to tell him what are you looking for.

Enjoy your stay,

Alex W

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think you can do the Summer Palace in a day (I'm not sure as I went by private car via the Great Wall both ways). You can certainly see (a small fraction of) the Great Wall in a day.

Han China is the south-east of the current empire, about 40% of the land area claimed as China. Bear in mind that the population of the empire is 90% Han -- which is why they have invaded the lands of the 'Minorities' for centuries. Remember too that until the Tibetans voluntarily withdrew about 1300 years ago, on the grounds that empire-building and empire-running are inherently wrong, China was a tributary of Tibet.The Great Wall marks the boundaries of 600-1000 years ago. Yunnan is WAY too far for a day-trip.

Google Tibet/Tibetan, Uighur/Turkestan, Mongol/Mongolia, Manchuria for an introduction to what the Chinese Empire is about. Needless to say, ignore any official Chinese government site.

The market really is only a few minutes (five or ten) from the hutongs, and (for my money) a lot more interesting. Hire a rickshaw; hop out when you want to take pictures. Expect to be hit for extra money for the extra time spent taking pics. Pay. It ain't that much.

Food in Beijing -- even in quite expensive restaurants -- is often very good but rarely truly memorable, and quality is not very closely related to price. One of the great duck restaurants, we tried to visit three times but walked out each time (huge queues, crawling with tourists, too much hassle). We had excellent duck in several other places. Look out for street food like scorpion-on-a-stick (I am not kidding). The Chinese are like the English, ALWAYS eating in the street.

Cheers,

Roger (not Richard)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks a lot guys.
    Well, the things has changes all over again, I'll not be flying, my wife will do alone. In light of that, I'm considering contacting She-Hao retailers online and asking them to sell me the stuff so that I'd pay online by credit card and they would bring the good over to the hotel where my wife will be staying...
    Alex W, your help indeed will be highly appreciable.
    Do you happen to know the email address of Mr. Zhong in Beijing ? Perhaps he is right person to dea in this regard...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Roger (not Richard)
    Oh, my bad, I'm sorry...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexz View Post
    Oh, my bad, I'm sorry...
    No big t'ing, as the saying goes. As nothing compared to the disappointment of not going. Better luck next time!

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, frankly, not much dissapointment. It was a kind of rush trip - my wife has to fly urgently for work so made the decision in no time. I wasn't prepared well for this kind of trip (usually I do prepare our itenerary in details, where, when day by day, the route to drive (if we rent a car), entire trip schedule is well planned including of course where to shoot and when), I was never fond about
    spontanious, rush trips abroad.
    Besides, we had only 5-6 days to be there (5 shooting days netto), and the round flying tickets to Beijing are at least 1k$-1.5k$ for me (add here the cash spent during the stay such as meals, attractions, tours, occasional shopping...you know..
    Never mind, this is for good...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin