Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,685   Online: 862

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Water should be running into November with the summer rains we had recently.

Quick update: On my way home yesterday evening, there was a news story on the radio from the Forest Service about Sabino. A deer was killed by a mountain lion about a mile from the visitor's center. This would have been very close to the beginning of the closure area from the flood, at the road. Most likely, it would have been one of the deer coming to water in the bottom or on its way in. The cats like to sit up on ledges and drop on prey animals. This is (I think) a narrow area where the Rattlesnake Canyon runoff has cut the pavement as it flowed into the main canyon, a natural funnel for game.

First sighting in the area, since the problem with large cats after the fires a few years ago. They were driven down in search of food. A black bear was removed from a power pole two days ago on Nogales Highway, when it hit a transmission line and was killed by the 13,000 volts. Same thing, looking for food. It is "normal activity" for the big cats, but close to areas where people hike. Might be a good idea to stick together (at least in pairs) when shooting in the area. Don't want any unwelcome visitors under the dark cloth, too crowded and distracting. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil View Post
    Water should be running into November with the summer rains we had recently.

Quick update: On my way home yesterday evening, there was a news story on the radio from the Forest Service about Sabino. A deer was killed by a mountain lion about a mile from the visitor's center. This would have been very close to the beginning of the closure area from the flood, at the road. Most likely, it would have been one of the deer coming to water in the bottom or on its way in. The cats like to sit up on ledges and drop on prey animals. This is (I think) a narrow area where the Rattlesnake Canyon runoff has cut the pavement as it flowed into the main canyon, a natural funnel for game.

First sighting in the area, since the problem with large cats after the fires a few years ago. They were driven down in search of food. A black bear was removed from a power pole two days ago on Nogales Highway, when it hit a transmission line and was killed by the 13,000 volts. Same thing, looking for food. It is "normal activity" for the big cats, but close to areas where people hike. Might be a good idea to stick together (at least in pairs) when shooting in the area. Don't want any unwelcome visitors under the dark cloth, too crowded and distracting. tim
    Reminds me of the sign at the Ranger station towards the top of Mt. Lemon. It said, "Don't kick the bears!" When I asked about it, the ranger told me, "Too many people with cameras think they can get the bears to pose in a different manner if they kick them to move." I have to wonder about humans interacting with animals. For those who don't know where Mt. Lemon is, it is the Mountain right above Sabino Canyon.

Generally if you leave the animals alone and respect their space, they leave you alone. Humans have this strange odor that they will leave you alone, but if they are really hungry, even a cat will eat a skunk. Pairs are a good idea. So is making a lot of noise.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Read the maps! BWahahaha, I get it. :rolleyes:

Hey, you trying to "cull" the gathering with those Mountain Kitty reports?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Update from September 30

The canyon is still as beautiful as it was, but there have been a few changes. Had to do a little bush-whacking to get back to the area I wanted to shoot, because the road is closed at mile post 1.1 by a large cut in the pavement. Actually, the first small bridge is completely gone now. Not too bad for walking, but there is some shallow water to cross in the stream. The bottom looks different, because of the huge amount of water moving in such a short time. No quick sand that I found.

The two images are both contact prints from 4x5, 125mm lens. The "normal" image is Efke 25 on Ilford MGFB (I'll call it the first image, pale sky a year ago), the "warm" image is Efke 100 on J&C's WT paper (second image, darker sky taken on saturday). They were taken at different times of the year, as light is farther south now (look at the shadows in the spillway, the openings face south). There isn't a lot of change visible, but you will see that the spillway in the first image is working, while in the second image, it is plugged with debris. The top edge of the bridge above the spillway has been chewed up by debris in the second image and a few rocks are missing. The apparent changes are to the left of the large plant and rock column. The ground level in the second image shows more rocks and boulders and is a few feet higher now. The spillway will have to be cleaned and a lot of rocks and sand need to be cleared before any water will flow again. I guess the level to be about three or four feet higher at that spot now.

No lions to report, plenty of fresh deer sign in the bottom, coming to water. It should be a nice walk at the end of the month. All are welcome. There are some wonderful scenes to shoot in the early fall light. Figure early morning temps to be in the 50's, with daytime highs in the 80's. tim
    Last edited by noseoil; 09-16-2007 at 08:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The canyon is still as beautiful as it was, but there have been a few changes. Had to do a little bush-whacking to get back to the area I wanted to shoot, because the road is closed at mile post 1.1 by a large cut in the pavement. Actually, the first small bridge is completely gone now. Not too bad for walking, but there is some shallow water to cross in the stream. The bottom looks different, because of the huge amount of water moving in such a short time. No quick sand that I found..... tim
    Hi tim,

Nice pics - thanks. Boy I wish I could join you but no way I can get out until our November trip.

I take it that with the bridge washed out they aren't running the sightseeing "buses" up the canyon road at all? Hard to imagine where they could do a turn-around.

We usually start our hikes from the Visitors Center so not to much of a personal inconvenience. Any word on repair schedule? With the tourist "high season" starting up I imagine they'll want to get the road re-opened

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a bump for tomorrow on the thread. I will be at the visitor's center at 7:30 am for anyone willing to take a walk and shoot a few pictures. Parking is $5.00, unless you have the yearly pass which covers Mt. Lemon, Sabino & Madera Canyon. Toy, miniature, small and large cameras all welcome.

Plan on hiking shoes, but the road is open now and we won't have to bush-whack to get in any more (just opened on wednesday this week). Bring a bottle of water, some bug juice, a hat, some sun screen and a comb. The initial walk into the water area is about a mile and we can go in as far as anyone wants. I'm not going back more than two miles.

I will have on a hat, a black back pack, a too-large tripod and a smile. tim

P.S. Ryan, if you can make it, you can ride along in the truck if you get to the house by 7:00.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just a bump for tomorrow on the thread. I will be at the visitor's center at 7:30 am for anyone willing to take a walk and shoot a few pictures. Parking is $5.00, unless you have the yearly pass which covers Mt. Lemon, Sabino & Madera Canyon. Toy, miniature, small and large cameras all welcome.

Plan on hiking shoes, but the road is open now and we won't have to bush-whack to get in any more (just opened on wednesday this week). Bring a bottle of water, some bug juice, a hat, some sun screen and a comb. The initial walk into the water area is about a mile and we can go in as far as anyone wants. I'm not going back more than two miles.

I will have on a hat, a black back pack, a too-large tripod and a smile. tim

P.S. Ryan, if you can make it, you can ride along in the truck if you get to the house by 7:00.

Hope you guys have a very successful adventure and bring back some great pics. Plan on going up the Canyon one day during week of Nov. 12th with some friends who'll be visiting with us so I'm curious how things go for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin