Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,192   Online: 1042

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fall hike into Sabino Canyon, anyone?

I would like to do a hike into Sabino Canyon in another month or so, with any area LF's interested. Since the summer flood, it looks completely different in the upper Sabino area. The Forest Service estimates 2-3 weeks until the area is offcially open again, I'm thinking the 21st of October as the date to shoot for. Daytime temperatures should be in the mid 80's by then and the snakes should be looking for a place to sleep soon. The fall colors from the Sycamores changing should be going at this time, for anyone using E6 or C41. The area is a lush green now from our unusually wet monsoon this year and Sabino creek is running.

The main problem could be that the hiking may get a bit difficult at some points. What was once a good system of roads and bridges, has been completely gutted by debris flows and the force of water. The images I've seen recently show scenes which are pretty much unbelieveable in their scope and magnitude. The Rattlesnake Canyon debris flow, which came down into Sabino from the north-west, was 2 1/2 miles long. Other areas have been reshaped as well. The initial hike in on the pavement will be an easy 1.1 mile walk, after that, it's hard to tell how things will look.

Ryan, how about a scouting trip next weekend on saturday to do a recon of the area first (9/30/06)? Ria and Victor are both out of the area on vacation still, and I haven't heard from Tim P. since he left on vacation back east. Anyone who wants to come down from Phoenix or points north and east is welcome. Parking at the Visitor's center is $5 for the day, but we can meet at my house to share rides in vehicles with parking permits. Please pm me if you are interested so we can work out times and rides. Breakfast or lunch at Son's restaurant will follow. Tim Curry, Tucson, Az.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Damn I use to lead girlscout hikes up that canyon. It would be so sad for me to see the destruction. I'd love to come down and go with you. If you just did it the weekend after. That weekend IF I go anywhere will be to San Francisco area to hit that calypso sale.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm game. Sounds like fun.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10716
    http://home.comcast.net/~rem700a/westviews.html

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    it's a ways out to commit, but I have Nov 10th off if that falls within a good time.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd love to join you, if you can "tolerate" my puny 35mm.

I'll finally get back out there from 11/12 through 11/24. Committed to doing El Tour de Tucson on Saturday the 18th. Not sure if I'd be up for a hike on the 19th given how out of shape I am (up here in Northeast US we've had a record amount of rainfall too - so haven't gotten much riding in).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Put a really big lens on it and they either won't notice... or will be impressed

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post

Great, you can help us carry gear! (just kidding here!)
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After seeing the feedback, I've decided to move the date. The "new" date will be the following weekend (Aggie, I hope this works for you). October 28th, the last weekend in October, would be the best date. Miniature cameras are welcome, as well.

I'm planning on a trip this weekend to scout the area. Will post more about the conditions in the canyon once I see how things look. Hopefully, will have a couple of shots to show the changes. tim

P.S. for anyone not able to attend, the canyon is open all year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil View Post
    After seeing the feedback, I've decided to move the date. The "new" date will be the following weekend (Aggie, I hope this works for you). October 28th, the last weekend in October, would be the best date. Miniature cameras are welcome, as well.

I'm planning on a trip this weekend to scout the area. Will post more about the conditions in the canyon once I see how things look. Hopefully, will have a couple of shots to show the changes. tim

P.S. for anyone not able to attend, the canyon is open all year.
    I'll try hard to make it. Robert up to carpooling? I'll bring the maps and read them for you.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Cannot make this one - but will look forward to a report back on conditions up country and perhaps some scans?

Plan on hiking up Sabino (not sure which trail yet) when we get out there - have some house visitors who are up for it so I'm curious what the condition of the trails are.

BTW: Is water still running in Sabino Creek? The El Tour route includes an off-bike portage through there down by Canyon Ranch Resort - though I expect things will have dried up by mid-November.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin