Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,330   Online: 782

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Any of the working ports along EastCoast would be worth a detour. Jack Leigh (of Midnight Garden Good & Evil fame) did some beautiful work on Savanah, for example.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Thanks folks,

I've got some destination along the way, and hopefully I'll be able to make some good images between here and there.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're looking for industry to photograph...your best bet are the states south of the great lakes. Because of the basic air currents swooping from west to east, those in New England are getting chronicaly sick with each generation! Sorry...but had to say that, but with no check on industrial polution, what can you do. Lets elect some more ultra conservatives.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Drew,

You are correct that the NE states have traditionally been more industrialized than the south, but since WWII the gulf states have an immense amount of heavy industrial processing facilities.

Ecopolitics aside, the industrial base in this country is receding faster than most people's hairlines, and it seems to me that this should be a serious concern for this country. I'm looking to photograph what remains and what is still active as part of this project.

In truth, there's subject matter everywhere, but unless I am aware of it, I could simply drive by without knowing there's a good opportunity just a mile away.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Georgetown SC had a real-live working steel mill last time I went thru several years back. It's right on the river loop adjacent to US17. Particularly fascinating at night with all the noisy clanking, the whooshing of molten iron.

You might check with the Chamber before making a detour though. It is fairly small and may have fallen victim to The Flat World.

Bruce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you manage to make it down to Birmingham try out the Sloss Furnaces.
    http://www.slossfurnaces.com/media/h...loss_story.php
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce terry View Post
    Georgetown SC had a real-live working steel mill last time I went thru several years back. It's right on the river loop adjacent to US17.
    It was still there and operating circa 2001, and west of 17 is a quite large paper mill where I whiled away too many hours on some control system start-ups. Pictures #1 through #5. It almost took stone tablets from Zeus to use a camera in there though, you'd have to settle for the surrounding public streets.

As far as I know, the steel operation was a wire-drawing works. It started with scrap metal, etc., but was not nearly the size of a serious steel mill. In 1960, I toured the Bethlehem Steel home plant in Bethlehem PA with a metalurgy class. They took us around in buses, as the plant stretched a good five miles along the Lehigh River.

Post-Katrina, I've no idea what's left, but there were two semi-operational paper mills and a massive old RR facility on the east side of Mobile, AL (Prichard/Chickasaw). (Yes, I spent too much time there too. :rolleyes: )

Dave T

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I post this with some trepidation, as Roy Wakefield uses the bit bucket stuff, but last I waded through it, it was all just North Carolina. I believe much of the South had major textile industry back into the late 1800s. All that would of course be accompanied by railroad facilities too.

(Some amazing stuff -- too bad he doesn't use film! )

DaveT

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Dave,

I agree, it's too bad he isn't making images with film. I've relatives in that area, so maybe I should plan a visit down sometime...

--Michael
    www.mutmansky.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, you can hit some interesting stuff before you barely get your trip under way. I have passed through but not really explored the "Mon Valley" south of Pittsburgh. A quick Google search turned up some good info.

There is also the East Broad Top RR, a narrow guage line near Mt. Union, PA with complete shops, roundhouse, turntable, etc.

Living in a Rust Belt state does have its photo opportunity advantages!

DaveT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin