Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,448   Online: 971

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Looking for industrial sites in US southeast

Greetings APUG folks,

I'm planning a trip from Pennsylvania to Houston at the end of this month, and thought I might get some recommendations for locations to photograph between here and there.

I have been focusing on industrial subject matter recently, and would like to continue working with that as much as possible. I am interested in disused industrial locations as well as active sites.

My route is not specifically selected yet, so I have a good bit of flexibility on how I get to Houston, and how I get back.

If anyone is familiar with locations that they think may be interesting and worth shooting, please email or PM me, and I'll get back to you. I'd certainly be interested in shooting a location with anyone as well, so if you have a location near you and want to spend some time shooting with me, that would be great. I'll be using my ULF cameras on this trip (7x17 and 10x12).

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    PM'd ya Michael, you might want to consider the Chicago are for a stop, I'd love to show you a couple spots.

Mike

Mike A
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky View Post
    Greetings APUG folks,

I'm planning a trip from Pennsylvania to Houston at the end of this month, and thought I might get some recommendations for locations to photograph between here and there.

I have been focusing on industrial subject matter recently, and would like to continue working with that as much as possible. I am interested in disused industrial locations as well as active sites.

My route is not specifically selected yet, so I have a good bit of flexibility on how I get to Houston, and how I get back.

If anyone is familiar with locations that they think may be interesting and worth shooting, please email or PM me, and I'll get back to you. I'd certainly be interested in shooting a location with anyone as well, so if you have a location near you and want to spend some time shooting with me, that would be great. I'll be using my ULF cameras on this trip (7x17 and 10x12).

---Michael
    'To the complaint, 'There are no people in these photographs,' I respond, 'There are always two people: the photographer and the viewer.'

Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi michael:

you might give the sia (the society for industrial archaeology) a buzz ...

have fun!

-john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    John,

Great link, thanks! I haven't seen that one before. I will contact them and see what I can find out about sites, etc.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you're heading south from Pittsburgh, lots of cool stuff in and around Wheeling, West Virginia. Actually, most of West Virginia is an industrial remnant. Everything from early pre-industrial revolution sites to late 20th century plants shuttered or not. There's a great series of books out that have fun day-trips or longer in various states. I've got one for West Virginia, and I'll post the title and publisher when I get home and have it in front of me. You can order them off Amazon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip Michael...how fun. Once you hit the Lone Star State, if you come in on I-10 from the LA you will have a lot of oil/chemical plants from Lake Charles, LA thru Beaumont-Port Arthur. The ship channel can provide some interesting stuff from time to time. Houston area bet Clay Harmon can help out there. There is the old Battleship Texas that could provide some intersting work with the ULF gear...just a thought.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Always welcome at the Powers' house, one day out. Ain't got no industrial waste here in the rust belt. Pick your poison.
    PM sent.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Michael-
    the book series is "Scenic Driving", published by Falcon Guides. Mine is "Scenic Driving: West Virginia" by Bruce Sloane.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky View Post
    John,

Great link, thanks! I haven't seen that one before. I will contact them and see what I can find out about sites, etc.

---Michael
    my pleasure

have fun!

-john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Michael,

Mike (photomc) is right--there is a lot in the Houston area (Baytown, Pasadena, etc) and also in Beaumont, especially closer to the port. In the Port Arthur area, Hwy 87 actually goes right thru one plant.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin