Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,192   Online: 1017

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Visiting Mexico May 2007.. any locals have suggestions?

Hi,

Im a part of the Lowell Friends of Photography club in Lowell, Mass. We are planning to meet some students from the Lahti Institute of design (Finland) somewhere in Mexico. Does anyone living in mexico or who has been there know of any non-touristy places that still have a variety of photogenic areas to satisfy a variety of photo styles? (ie landscape, architecture, people, culture)

We dont know where we are flying in, where we are staying, none of that info is decided yet. Id appreciate the feedback! I love this site! : )

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm not a local, but I spent a few days in the Mexican cities of Queretaro and San Miguel de Allende. They are both full of beautiful spanish architecture. There are some mountains around San Miguel but I didnt' get up into them. There is a large American expatriate presence in San Miguel as well, but it did not strike me as "touristy."

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oaxaca (wa-ha-ka) is kind of tourist-y but still lovely. There is plenty to see and it is cheap to visit. I spent June 2005 there and loved it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks guys! Ill definitely research these spots.. would you mind sending me some photos you took there? My email is lmmphoto@hotmail.com. Id appreciate it.

Lisa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by get_me_a_gun View Post
    Thanks guys! Ill definitely research these spots.. would you mind sending me some photos you took there? My email is lmmphoto@hotmail.com. Id appreciate it.

Lisa

Oaxaca is a lovely city, but check on conditions before you go. There has been a lot of civil unrest there this year and unless the situation changes fairly soon I will not be returning there this winter.

But here are some snaps taken in and around Oaxaca. There is a lot of color there so even if you do only B&W you might want to consider some color work in this city.

Sandy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oaxaca1.jpg   Oaxaca2.jpg   Cuilapan.jpg   Gallery.jpg   Rooster.jpg  

Last edited by sanking; 10-08-2006 at 10:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oaxaca is a lovely place to visit. This days It's not the time to go because we have serious poltical problems there but I hope evreything will be OK soon.
    Other very good places to visit are the state of Chiapas, and Yucatan.
    I suggest you to check this web site http://www.mexicodesconocido.com
    it's a very good site for those who want to travel in Mexico.

Juanito

Shooter
    Medium Format

Patzcuaro, Janitzio, anywhere else in Michoacan

All great places to photograph, particulary the surrounding areas

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Looks like the Oaxaca thing is starting to move its way to Mexico City. The State Dept has issued a warning for Americans traveling in the Oaxaca areas.

lee\c

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin