Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,221   Online: 853

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Death Valley in November

It looks like I will be heading up there for the first week of November.

What can I expect? What should I not miss?

thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    November is a great time in the Valley! Don't miss anything!

B

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    It looks like I will be heading up there for the first week of November.

What can I expect? What should I not miss?
    Dante's View or Zabriskie point in the morning. Great views of the entire valley.

Ubehebe Crater. Scotty's Castle. Devil's Golf Course, Artist Drive.

Some photos on the pages here (among other stuff ...):

http://www.letis.com/dmr/pics/vegas/vegas1/
    http://www.letis.com/dmr/pics/vegas/vegas3/
    http://www.letis.com/dmr/pics/vegas/vegas9/ (Kodachrome)
    http://www.letis.com/dmr/pics/vegas/vegas10/ (Dante, Ubehebe, recent)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would add Marble Canyon (just east of Stove Pipe Wells) and the dunes just northeast of Stove Pipe Wells. I to recommend early morning... the quiet can be, well, stunning.

Do check the weather report as flash floods can be quite dangerous!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    First make sure you go into the VIsitors Center to get maps and other information. The ranger will be able to tell you if any roads are closed because of snow or washouts. Also pay your entrance fee there which is so important to keeping the Park going.
    The Racetrack is an extremely intersting phenomenon. It does require essentially a full day from Furnace Creek, and it can be very cold and windy by November.

Be sure to get up in the mountains on the west side, especiallyin the afternoon. The views from that side are very different than those from the east and quite spectacular. Aguerebery Point offers a view from one end of the valley to the other. The charcoal kilns are an interestng area and the short hike to the viewpoint fromthe parking lot is worth it.
    The old town of Skidoo offers a few relics which are interesting to view and photograph.

This has been a favorite stomping ground of mine for over 25 years. I hope you enjoy it.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Images
    Expect a lot of photographers in the two weeks before Tday. I was there last year at that time and it seemed there were workshops everywhere. Tday weekend the hotels and campgrounds are full unless the wind blows them away, as it did last year. Still, it's a big place and very nice. Mornings are cool and afternoons are perfect. If it is windy, go to the canyons. If it rains, stay out of the canyons and wait. It will be over shortly.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Any idea what the weather might be like the first week of November?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You might start with the following link, not only does it lead you to weather forecasts but includes a wealth of other useful information. It won't be hot, in fact, be prepared to bundle up for those early morning shoots!

http://www.death.valley.national-park.com/

Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The weather in DV in November can be everything from comfortably hot and dry, to blustery and cold. It is not too unusual for the surrounding mountans to get a good coat of snow at this time. On one occasion I had to leave by the low road through SHoshone because of snow in the mountains.

Your biggest hazard will the the 49'ers if they happen to be there for their annual November gathering. I suggest you get on the DV web site and check the dates for that event. They create bumper to bumper traffic all over the valley.

In other words, be prepared for anything, and hope for the best. If you happen to get the heavy 2-3 stop clouds common in January and February, you will quickly learn the advantages of total development.

Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin