Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,386   Online: 927

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Foiled by Johnny Depp!

I was on line looking for some of Edward Westons work in print. Andrew Glover ( Dagor 77) had his and Bretts beautiful work " Dune" which sold for a very high price. I found the work at Amazon and it is exquisite. I don't live too far from Oceano/Guadalupe Dunes. This morning, with the inspiration of this work and thoughts of my other visits, I headed out at 4:15 am with the 8x10. The fog would not dampen my spirits. It will clear! When I got to the gate at the dunes I was greeted by security. That's right they were on the last day of filming Pirates of the Caribbean III and the dunes were CLOSED!! I guess Disney made a rather huge contribution and that got them the park for a week. Well I ended up going back home and printed some of my 120 negs of the dunes. Ever been shut out of one of your favorite places?

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, another Pirates of The Caribbean in the works! The second one is being released soon on DVD!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, good news for Pirates fans...bad news for you. However, couldn't you have gotten me his autograph or something?
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    Well, good news for Pirates fans...bad news for you. However, couldn't you have gotten me his autograph or something?
    Stephanie, with my 100 year old camera and wooden tripod they should have put me in the movie!! Johnny was no where to be found, sorry.

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Pirates of The Caribbean II, sucks!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not a photo spot but the restaurant (Mule Barn) behind and across the tracks from my house is closed every once in a while to film a movie there. You can always tell because the windows are covered with black plastic and there are all kinds of boom trucks and lights all over. Sometimes they even film outside at night.

It must be that it looks like a typical American diner or maybe it's their giant chicken fried steak?

New Mexico is becoming a popular movie spot because the state gives them interest free loans and they can take as long as they please to pay it back. I wish they'd do that with still photography!

Doug

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I was on line looking for some of Edward Westons work in print. Andrew Glover ( Dagor 77) had his and Bretts beautiful work " Dune" which sold for a very high price. I found the work at Amazon and it is exquisite. I don't live too far from Oceano/Guadalupe Dunes. This morning, with the inspiration of this work and thoughts of my other visits, I headed out at 4:15 am with the 8x10. The fog would not dampen my spirits. It will clear! When I got to the gate at the dunes I was greeted by security. That's right they were on the last day of filming Pirates of the Caribbean III and the dunes were CLOSED!! I guess Disney made a rather huge contribution and that got them the park for a week. Well I ended up going back home and printed some of my 120 negs of the dunes. Ever been shut out of one of your favorite places?
    Was this Oceano? or Guadalupe? I was at Guadalupe being repelled on Friday, too. I think they wrapped on Sunday, so we are cleared to go again. Oso Flaco might have been open.

Yes, I've been shut out before, usually because I was trespassing. Not so much any more. Turns out there are plenty of opportunities other places and like you, I should really be home printing.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel View Post
    Was this Oceano? or Guadalupe? I was at Guadalupe being repelled on Friday, too. I think they wrapped on Sunday, so we are cleared to go again. Oso Flaco might have been open.

Yes, I've been shut out before, usually because I was trespassing. Not so much any more. Turns out there are plenty of opportunities other places and like you, I should really be home printing.
    It was Guadalupe and it was Sunday morning. I had a nice talk with the security guy. They were suppost to wrap on Sunday. I should have checked out Oso Flaco but my heart was set on Guadalupe. I have some 120 negs that are ok and I wanted to get it on my 8x10. Do you prefer Guadalupe or Oso Flaco? It seemed that Guadalupe had easier access with the parking at the beach. I never got into Oso Flaco, you know the birds kept me out. Is it a good spot?

Stay Focused....or Soft Focused

Jim

Images
    Jim, I haven't been to either one is so long, I can't judge. However, I do really love Oceano dunes. Used to be able to walk thru the horse place, but somebody pissed them off and now the only access to Oceano Reserve is along the beach. Beach access can be limited by high tide, high stream, or getting stuck in soft sand. I suppose I could just walk. Not that far.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    oso flaco can be nice, there are tons of other access points to the dunes all along the beach. I hike in from the oceano livery stables and it's fairly nice in the winter. in the summer it will be tracked out. you can also pay the beach entry fee in the state park and drive down the beach and park just past the creek crossing. 4x4 is nice, but be really careful if the creek is in winter flow because I've seen numerous cars (and 4x4's) flooded and heading out to sea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin