Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,181   Online: 678

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Springfield-Branson Regional in Springfield, Missouri

An airport to add: Springfield-Jurassic Park (er, I mean Branson) Regional.

I was scheduled to fly Springfield-Memphis-MSP. Got there 2 hours early so they could hand-check my film (50+ rolls -- took an hour at MSP because the guard had never seen hand-rolled film nor 120). But TSA (Thousands Standing Around, aka overpaid underwear inspectors) didnt even open the security gate until 45 min before the flight.

Like previous posters experienced, they dismanted my Domke down to disconnecting the straps that werent sewn on. They opened every back on every camera (I learned THAT lesson the hard way at MSP a couple years ago) and wanted me to open my hand-rolled film. They weren't at all fascinated by my cable releases, but gave me the 3d degree about the Pocket Wizards.

TSA: "You mean this is some sort of remote control device?"
    Me: "Yup. Its so I can set my flashes off by remote."
    TSA: "Looks like you could use this to set off a bomb."
    Me: "No. I'd use a cellphone for that. Pocket Wizards are too expensive."
    TSA: ** Clearly not amused, calls for a peace officer **

The upside is that the airport is so small that after the deputy sherrif decided I had no reason to be arrested, they literally just yelled out the jetway door to the pilot of the puddle-jumper to wait so I could get onboard.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino View Post
    An airport to add: Springfield-Jurassic Park (er, I mean Branson) Regional.

I was scheduled to fly Springfield-Memphis-MSP. Got there 2 hours early so they could hand-check my film (50+ rolls -- took an hour at MSP because the guard had never seen hand-rolled film nor 120). But TSA (Thousands Standing Around, aka overpaid underwear inspectors) didnt even open the security gate until 45 min before the flight.

Like previous posters experienced, they dismanted my Domke down to disconnecting the straps that werent sewn on. They opened every back on every camera (I learned THAT lesson the hard way at MSP a couple years ago) and wanted me to open my hand-rolled film. They weren't at all fascinated by my cable releases, but gave me the 3d degree about the Pocket Wizards.

TSA: "You mean this is some sort of remote control device?"
    Me: "Yup. Its so I can set my flashes off by remote."
    TSA: "Looks like you could use this to set off a bomb."
    Me: "No. I'd use a cellphone for that. Pocket Wizards are too expensive."
    TSA: ** Clearly not amused, calls for a peace officer **

The upside is that the airport is so small that after the deputy sherrif decided I had no reason to be arrested, they literally just yelled out the jetway door to the pilot of the puddle-jumper to wait so I could get onboard.
    Maybe you reflect a 'tude that gets you singled out. Politness, courtesy and a little understanding of the pressures that low-paid TSA employees face might go a long way to improving your travelling experience!

These folks are literally the last line of defense for airline safety - treat them with respect and courtesy and they will respond in kind. Do the opposite, and so will they.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Politness, courtesy and a little understanding of the pressures that low-paid TSA employees face might go a long way to improving your travelling experience!
    I know I've flown well over 50 times since 9/11 and in almost all of those I've asked for a hand inspection of film. I've always been polite, and I know that even casual use of the "b-word" in any context will raise eyebrows. I've never had a hand inspection refused.

They have a job to do, and I've always found that if I am nice to others, they will be nice to me in return.

The only things out of the ordinary have been one smart@$$ inspector at LAS who jokingly remarked that he was gonna have to turn my film over to the FBI as he handed it back to me. Ha-ha. Yeah, right.

The most thorough inspection I ever received was shortly after 9/11 when my flight on Northwest out of San Jose was cancelled and they rebooked me on United with some kind of an "interline voucher" which was essentially a non-pre-booked one way ticket. As I walked toward the gate the agent immediately noticed some mark on the boarding pass and pointed for me to go over to the inspection station. They inspected EVERYTHING in my carry-on. Dirty laundry, (yes, unmentionables too), opened nail polish bottles, everything! They were polite and apologetic about it, however.

I had to change planes in Denver and, you guessed it, again, everything.

Oh well ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd write your senator or something, because when you mentioned unspooling of film, or searching calls on a cellphone or examining files and such, the most they need to do is verify the items are what they really are and not a bomb, otherwise they are invading your privacy and thats flat out illegal. The cellphone for example they only need to verfy that it is a cellphone and that it turns on, seeing who you called and when crosses the line, just like demanding to see your journal before you board a plan, so they can examime all your thoughts.

I'm all for cooperation, but that crosses the line.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You want to have fun,

Two weeks after 9/11 I was schedule to start a hunt in Canada, and had my firearms and bows packed in checked in baggage, and had incidentals in my carry on, talk about a hassle, I landed in a tiny airport in the back country of Canada and talk about a 3rd degree!!!! yikes, I thought they were going to make me bend over and cough!!!, but made it through and have not had any problems since, what is amazing is two years after that trip, one of the carry on bags that I used for the hunt had two live rounds in one of the side pockets that I forgot to take out and I hand carried on the plane through security and all the way back to home, never even noticed by the security!

Go figure!

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Years ago, before 9/11, I did a summer internship at Immigration at BWI Airport. I would sometimes bring microwave dinners with me to the office to eat, so I kept a big folding pocket-knife in my jacket for opening them. The knife was old, and all steel. The large blade on it was long enough to qualify as a lethal weapon. Somehow, I forgot it in my jacket pocket one day, and went through the metal detectors to go down the pier to get something to eat at the Pizza Hut Express. The metal detector never went off. Back then, they never had the sensitivity on the machines dialled up enough. Now, a foil-sealed packet of Trident gum will set the things off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The woman whose cell phone privacy was violated was going to make a formal complaint, and I'm guessing that she and her husband have the wherewithal to see it through. btw, I have rarely met a kinder, more gracious woman on all my travels. I doubt she "provoked" security. For that matter, I have never been accused of inciting riots. To hint that the attitude of the victim legitimately invites oppression makes little contribution to the very real debate about security v. freedom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    The woman whose cell phone privacy was violated was going to make a formal complaint, and I'm guessing that she and her husband have the wherewithal to see it through. btw, I have rarely met a kinder, more gracious woman on all my travels. I doubt she "provoked" security. For that matter, I have never been accused of inciting riots. To hint that the attitude of the victim legitimately invites oppression makes little contribution to the very real debate about security v. freedom.
    Thats why when dealing with any federal agent or law enforcement or anyone with the 'privilage' you want to be as polite as possible, but know where the line is drawn, this way, if they are commiting illegal acts such as violation of privacy, there should not be anything in your presentation of the matter that could be used as a 'justifiable reason to give cause'. But it helps to make sure to voice the objection even if in a polite manner so they cannot say you concented with the violation of privacy. The mistake people do is when there is something questionable going on, it doesnt help when yer screaming and shouting the usual 'I know my rights' and such, as any witness would just think "figures".

This may be side tracked, but one of my favorite quotes, somewhat paraphrase for situations such as this, is those who would give up liberties for security, deserve neither.
    Last edited by kb244; 10-27-2006 at 02:38 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: some mispellings.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    ...To hint that the attitude of the victim legitimately invites oppression makes little contribution to the very real debate about security v. freedom.
    Wasn't it Benjamin Franklin that said "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"?
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin