Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,187   Online: 1251

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Abandoned things in the SF Bay Area?

Wondering if anyone had any recommendations of especially interesting industrial ruins or abandoned buildings to explore and photograph in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've found a couple of abandoned farmhouses on Highway One, poked around in the Dogpatch area of SF, but I know that has got to be more out there.

-C

Images
    If you are interested in "abandoned" industrial, Mare Isaland Naval Base is interesting. It is near Vallejo on the northeast bay.

Cheers,
    Geary
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for, and your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. – John Prine

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's the ruins of the Sutro Baths out at the end of Geary Boulevard. Get there at 7:30 to shoot it in the fog and mist, then come back around 10 AM to get it in bright sun.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Marin headlands.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Former Alameda Naval Air Station at west end of Alameda. Also remianing Naval facilities on Treasure Island.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The old Knight Foundry ironworks in Sutter Creek is also interesting, although not entirely abandoned. It's about a good two hour drive from SF, so the there-and-back-again makes it a day trip, but the gold rush country is a great drive.

jss
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

abandoned places in bay area

i went exploring one night in alviso. there are a few abandoned buildings, including an old boat yard if i recall correctly. there's not much there, though. i've also seen some great (but small) spots in san francisco near hunter's point. i think it may come down to just driving around and writing down locations.. then coming back with a camera and a buddy for safety.

-jason

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Alas, the number of abandoned structures has been greatly reduced in the last few years, particularly in San Francisco. Being an architect I see this as a good sign but I do treasure the the aesthetic richness one finds in such places. Try Fort Point (under the south tower of the Golden Gate Bridge), while not technically abandoned it offers great visual possibilities. There are still a scattering of abandoned structures in the Presidio but are fast disappearing. A trip to the Delta should include the town of Locke with its crazily leaning dilapidated wood structures.

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Point Richmond, Black Diamond Mines, Delta area, downtown Pittsburg (take a guard with you), The wildlife reserve at the east side of the Dumbarton Bridge, The old abandonded dairy at the south end of the main hwy going into Napa the town. Many more just give me time to think, I've been on the road most the day and I'm too tired to think.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    The old Knight Foundry ironworks in Sutter Creek is also interesting, although not entirely abandoned. It's about a good two hour drive from SF, so the there-and-back-again makes it a day trip, but the gold rush country is a great drive.

Where about is the ironworks located?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin