Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,526   Posts: 1,543,913   Online: 1086

Thread: OBX

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

OBX

Yeah, anybody who's anybody on the east coast north of Myrtle Beach has vacationed on the Outer Banks of NC. I will be going back the last week of July, 1st of August. I have been to all of the sights. What else is there to photograph? Done Ocracoke, Hatteras Light, Oregon inlet, all the sights. What is there off the beaten path (which is admittedly barely 1/2 mile wide)?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get off of the beaten path...

Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hill or Colington along the soundfront will offer a lot of different settings to play in. Wanchese or Pirates Cove for some fishing shots...wander around Pea Island wildlife refuge for birding and sand dunes...photograph the hang gliders at Jockey's Ridge State Park...the wild horses of the northern beaches...

Last August I spent a couple of mornings under the (Avalon) fishing pier of Kitty Hawk playing with longer exposures...with varying degrees of success...

Next year I'm going to spend some time playing near the Wright Brother's Memorial and maybe down by Oregon Inlet.

If we time it right, maybe we can get a APUG OBX meet together...???

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    July 28 - August 5, 2007. Something to store in the back of the date planners.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Have you been way up to Corolla? The lighthouse is identical in design to the others, but is unpainted brick. Past the lighthouse you can drive on the beach, and there is a nature preserve with wild horses. I got a good shot of one there several years ago.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you really feel like getting off the beaten path there's Portsmouth Island south of Ocracoke. The island was abandoned decades ago (1960's but don't quote me) due to bad storms and other logistical problems, but many of the village buildings are still standing. Last time I checked I know at least one of the Ocracoke locals would run you out there by boat. It's reportedly heavily infested by mosquitoes (even by OBX standards) so don't forget the bug spray. Other than that its getting tough to find remote spots in the area as most of the Outer Banks has become increasingly developed and commercialized over the last 20 years or so.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thank ya Dan. Thank ya FP. That's the stuff I'm looking for. Keep it comin'.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorites, mainly for windsurfing are: Frisco, Avon, Buxton, Salvo, Waves, Rodanthe, and the Canadian Hole outside of Buxton. There's the lighthouse at Currituck, Bodie Island Light house, Pea Island National Widlife Refuge, the NC Aquarium on Roanoke Island. This is one of my favorite vacation spots!
    "...slow down and start using photography to create an image, not just capture one." b.e.wilson

"Speed kills, Del" Johnny Fever

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin