Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,391   Online: 998

Shooter
    4x5 Format

I will be in Farmington New Mexico

Hi all, I will be in Farmington New Mexico during Thanksgiving week. I am looking for some interesting places to photograph. I basicly photograph landscapes and old buildings.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Gary
    "He who expecteth nothing,
    Shall not be disappointed." Robert Willingham, 1907

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bisti Badlands are located south of Farmington. Chaco Canyon is located southeast of Farmington. Canyon de Chelly is located west of Farmington just inside Arizona. Aztec Ruins is located very near Farmington (northeast as I recall).

Shiprock New Mexico is relatively near Farmington as well. Hope that you have a pleasant visit.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bisti can be absolutely great. Be aware of the following.

There is nowhere to get a drink or food. You need to carry in what you need from Farmington.

You will struggle to find a decent map to show where the best formations are and how to get there. Take a compass- you'll be well out of sight of your car and you may well not see another person.

You have to park on the west edge of the facility and walk in a good mile or so before things get interesting. Its the low hills either side of the flat central plain that contain the interest.

If the ground is wet, or it looks like rain, don't bother. The ground underfoot is clay based and gets slippery and sticky pretty fast. Your boots get to weigh 10lb each. That said, my best photographs from there were taken right after I'd spent a half hour sitting under a hoodoo to avoid heavy but short-lived rain. Not a situation I'd have knowingly volunteered for.

A day with some action in the sky will open up the widest range of photographic options. Inevitably the best "landscapes" are in the early or late parts of the day which leaves the interesting prospect of walking in or out in limited light.

You might find publications such as Hitchman's "Photograph America" newsletter of some help.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Here you can find a virtual reality tour of the Bisti, it could help in finding the best formations, btw, it' a beautiful place!!

http://bistibadlands.com/

Ciao
    Marco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mesa Verde; Durango CO, Silverton CO (and the railroad between the two); Navaho Lake; Angel Rock; and don't cheat yourself out of the city park along the Animos River in Farmington. Hit the Bar D Chuckwagon ranch north of Durango, too (it sounds hokey, but it's gorgious scenery and a lot of fun). Wish I was going, too.

K.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin