Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,310   Online: 891

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This sounds like tons of fun! One of my dreams is to drive across the US in an RV, setting up a makeshift darkroom in it.
    Before you go, you have GOT to rent the Robin Williams movie RV. What a hoot!

Have a great time!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any update on the RV trip or planning?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Any update on the RV trip or planning?
    Yes! I've talked to a lot of people who have RV and told them my dates. They suggested to add at least 2 more days to the rental. One day just to almost load everything. Also, didn't realize that from Socal to GC, its about 7-8 hrs by car and add more for an RV. So that's almost a 2 day trip and I'll stay halfway going to GC (maybe Death Valley or something). And take all day coming home. Better to have more days on the RV than to rush a 1 week Spring Break trip. So I'm getting the RV on the Saturday before Easter Sunday. Drive up on Easter Sunday afternoon, stay the night somewhere, and be fresh at GC the next morning. The GC website is pretty good for online booking.

Had my Lowepro AW Mini backpack stolen a few years ago (yes, with all but 1 Hassy lens and back) and I think I'll get one of those again for hiking with my medium format and maybe take apart my combo 4x5 and somehow fit it in there (without the medium format of course). I've got tons of 4x5 400 speed film. Need to order a bunch of 120 FP4 or Neopan 400. Not sure yet.

Things I didn't know about RV's:
    Propane is used to power the fridge
    I probably need to stop somewhere and flush out the toilet. Fun
    30 gallon h2o tank will not be enough for showers.
    RV's are addictive, they say that camping will never be the same again (especially with kids). And I'm used to solo bike touring and camping!

Bought a dog crate so dog can come. Cheaper than putting the dog in a kennel for 9 days.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Besides the movie BWGirl recommend, I suggest you rent a copy of Albert Brooks's Lost in America - and stay as far away from Vegas as you can! :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you do go into LV the Oasis RV park will blow you away! No kidding we stay there, close the strip and so cheap it's sick. They have everything, it's like being at home. Oh yea, the dumping isn't nearly as bad as you think. And the water heaters recover fast. I have a small trailer and the the shower is great. We are looking forward to getting a larger one before spring break. The nice thing is you can stop at turnouts and rest, eat your own food and not have to eat junk all the time. It's a time saver not to have to lug baggage into hotel rooms and unpack and pack. You'll have a lot of fun I'm sure. How many kids are there? Just a little north of LV is Valley of Fire state park, I can never figure out why it is not a National Park, which has RV camping in it! This place is fantastic, I have been there two times. Have fun and enjoy the trip. You will probably be saying "we have to get one of these things".
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    If you do go into LV the Oasis RV park will blow you away! No kidding we stay there, close the strip and so cheap it's sick. They have everything, it's like being at home. Oh yea, the dumping isn't nearly as bad as you think. And the water heaters recover fast. I have a small trailer and the the shower is great. We are looking forward to getting a larger one before spring break. The nice thing is you can stop at turnouts and rest, eat your own food and not have to eat junk all the time. It's a time saver not to have to lug baggage into hotel rooms and unpack and pack. You'll have a lot of fun I'm sure. How many kids are there? Just a little north of LV is Valley of Fire state park, I can never figure out why it is not a National Park, which has RV camping in it! This place is fantastic, I have been there two times. Have fun and enjoy the trip. You will probably be saying "we have to get one of these things".
    Hi Curt,

The reason for saying stay away from Vegas was a direct plot reference to the suggested movie. Actually, it's probably a good midpoint for Eric - if his route takes him that way.

He just has to keep his "better half" away from "the tables" (er....another plot reference).

[for now] Arizona, U. S. A. [near future?] "Land of Enchantment"[NM]
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hey Eric. . .
    Wanna come down to central Arizona and pack me in your RV? LOL! With my wheelchair, backpack, camera, and any other luggage. . .
    I feel very old, suddenly!
    [FONT=Verdana]"the real truth of a photographic image is in its ability to evoke emotion."--Bryan Peterson[/FONT]
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]My Muse wheels Herself about in a wheel-chair![/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take the time to dirve around to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Very different look and feel. The South Rim is desert; the North Rim is higher, wooded and cooler [temperature].

steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Things I didn't know about RV's:
    Propane is used to power the fridge
    I probably need to stop somewhere and flush out the toilet. Fun
    30 gallon h2o tank will not be enough for showers.
    RV's are addictive...."

While traveling, it's a good idea to turn off the propane. It's illegal in some places to travel with propane appliances running. It's also not a good idea to pull into a service station with the propane burner going on the fridge. It's not a big deal. Just be sure everything is cold when you put it in the fridge and it will stay cold (or frozen) for hours while traveling. Take an ice chest for the beer. It will leave room in the fridge for more film.

Be sure to use the proper toilet chemicals--preferably one of the newer types that does not include formaldahyde. If you don't use the proper chemicals in the black water tank, you will not like atmosphere inside the RV. Let the black water (toilet) tank get fairly full before dumping. And don't leave the drain valve to the black water tank open while your set up in an RV park with sewer connections. Let the chemicals do their job inside the tank.

Thirty gallons will get you and one other person through a couple of days of short showers but you'll need to be conservative with water use. I suggest you buy a case or two of bottled water for drinking and use the RV's water supply only for bathing and cleaning purposes. The water in the grey water tank (the tank that holds the drainage from the shower and sinks) should be drained AFTER you drain the black water tank. That way, the sewer hose gets washed out. You DO NOT want to disconnect the sewer hose while it still has sewage in it.

I've towed a travel trailer for many years as my main residence when taking trips. They ARE addictive. I cringe now to think of staying in hotels and sleeping in the same bed as thousands of others have done prior to me.

The suggestion that you take in the North Rim is a good one. It's less crowded and, in my opinion, a more beautiful area. I'm not sure it will be open, however. Since it's 1000 feet higher in elevation, it gets a lot more snow and it's there until late in the season. At one time, the North Rim did not open until May 15 and there was still snow on the ground. It's not easy to get to either if you're coming in from the south.

Oh, and be sure you get reservations as soon as possible. The first time I went to Grand Canyon (sleeping in a tent at that time), I waited until a week before the trip and couldn't get into any of the Park campgrounds.

Things will go wrong. Consider it part of the adventure. You will have stories to tell later on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin