Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,964   Online: 982

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Renting an RV and going to Grand Canyon!

People at work have way more experience than I do. I guess I have to add 2 more days to the RV. 1 day to get acquainted and 1 day to unpack. Plus its a slow drive from Orange County to Grand Canyon.

Anyway, going during Spring Break. What to expect? Cold? I'm bringing my 4x5 and medium format. Anyone else be there around that time? I'll be there after Easter.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You can expect it to be in the 60's, +/- 10 degrees. The weather up at the canyon is really dynamic. Your best bet is to be ready for anything (heat,rain, snow etc..). If you plan on shooting slide film the alpenglow in norther arizona can creat some stunning images.

Good Luck.

Christopher Breitenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just remember that maneuvering a RV on the Grand Canyon roads will be more than a bit of a PIA.

But since you cycle you can get around that by finding a good site to park it and then using a bike to get around. For that kind of use I'd recommend either a mountain bike (even though you'll be on paved roads) or a road touring one so you can load it up with gear etc.

Not sure what kind of crowds you'll get at that time - but at least it won't be as crazy as Summer time!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Just remember that maneuvering a RV on the Grand Canyon roads will be more than a bit of a PIA.
    Naaaa, it will be a breeze...just do the same as all the other 1,254 first-time drivers of RV's are doing along the rim of the Grand Canyon!

But yes, be prepared for a variety of weather. Cold nights -- you're at 7000' elevation. I use to walk to work through the snow along the rim of the Canyon in May, 1977...you probably won't be that lucky this year, but who knows?!

There is a good shuttle system going out the West Rim Drive -- lots of places to get off, do a little walking along the rim, then back on the shuttle. A hike away from the crowds would be down the Hermit Trail, perhaps to Dripping Springs or Santa Maria Spring.

Have fun! I might be heading to Death Valley at about that time -- it will be getting a little warm, but not too bad.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Im going to Yosemite, or Carmel, or somewhere down there! Probably Yosemite. I have a Dodge Ram truck and an RV trailer. I like to get to a place and unhook and drive the offroad 4x4 V8 around, at least until gas is gone. I see driving RV's every place I have been so it appears to me that there isn't a problem with that. Of course I don't go into places I don't belong, like across a desert or bad back roads way off the beaten path.

Last time I was out, in the fall, I saw a lot of "El Monte" RV's, they must be a huge rental company. I went to CA, Anaheim, then to LV and up to Mono Lake and across Tioga Pass at 3am, pitch black and cold. Arrived in Yosemite and passed the entrance which had a sign that read "Pay on your way out". We found a camping spot, paid, camped, it's all dry camping there, and left the next day for home. I Took my 5x7 and a bunch of holders and had a blast.

Good luck and go for it. You will get the hang of RV driving quickly on the road so don't worry about it you will be just find. And one thing to keep in mind; RVer's are some of the friendliest and nice people you will meet. I was told that and found it to be totally true.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    People at work have way more experience than I do. I guess I have to add 2 more days to the RV. 1 day to get acquainted and 1 day to unpack. Plus its a slow drive from Orange County to Grand Canyon.

Anyway, going during Spring Break. What to expect? Cold? I'm bringing my 4x5 and medium format. Anyone else be there around that time? I'll be there after Easter.
    Dear Eric,

I found it VERY hazy -- much easier to shoot B+W with heavy (strong yellow, orange or even red) filtration than colour. Mind you, the first time I was there was in the days when Ektachrome 64 was still regarded as a good film...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll probably bring B&W and order some FP4+ in 4x5 and 120 sizes. I think I have a B60 Orange filter somewhere. I'll have to figure out how to carry my 4x5 around. Its a monorail.
    I've driven 35 footer Uhauls x-country and I used to drive an Econoline with 15 passengers around NYC so I think I'll be alright.
    As for El Monte RV, yah, they are a huge RV dealer in Socal. Rent, Buy, driving classes, everything.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    About a year or two ago I tried getting a room for an overnight around Easter. All rooms were rented because of spring breakers as told to me by the reservations clerk. I would expect crowds I guess. I don't know what the deal is with RV's, but I hope you have a reservation.

Come to think of it, I'm going to try now for a reservation again as I'll be in Scottsdale at Easter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got the RV but I need to call and pick it up earlier. recreation.gov has sites available at Mather park and their web site/call in reservation system just went live after an upgrade last week.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    One thing nice about the Mather Campground is that it has a shuttle stop...so one does not have to walk far to get anywhere.

One can also walk from the campground almost due north and get to the rim in a reasonable amount of time to check out the sunrise on the rim. You will also walk by the little cemetary on your way.

We were at the Grand Canyon this summer -- towards the end of July. I was surprised at the relatively low number of people. We had no problem getting a campsite at Mathers. It was a combination of heat wave and gas prices that contributed to that (tho all across Nevada/Utah/Arizona the gas prices were still cheaper than our local prices!)

I will be in Yosemite the 22nd to the 25th of this month, if anyone sees a tall hairy guy with an 8x10 wandering around!

Vaughn

PS Eric...anyway you could beg borrow or rent a field camera? Sure would be more convient!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin