Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,581,990   Online: 826

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Belize, Guatemala, Costa Maya and Cozumel Mexico

I am going on a cruise next week with family, and I have never been to these areas. I usually travel by backpack, so I will have MUCH less time than I am used to. Any one have any suggestions on these port cities, including scenic sites, best ruins, interesting cultural areas, best places to photograph, etc.

Costa Maya, Mexico
    Cozumel, Mexico
    Santo Tomas De Castilla (Puerto Barrios, Livingston), Guatemala
    Belize City, Belize

Thanks

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Go with the flow.

I've only been to Belize City on your list. Not much there. Perhaps they take you in-land to some ruins. If you're stuck in the city, they'll point you to the lame shopping district. You can photograph a lot of poverty there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When we went to Cozumel we hopped a local bus out to Hell and got a few pictures as well as mailing a postcard back home from there.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How much time do you have in these places ? A few days or a few hours ? Puerto Barrios and Sto.Tomàs have little to offer, but the surroundings have mindblowing places. Cozumel has a little more to offer and the Costa Maya is about 300 Km of everything from mangrove forests, lagoons, scenic areas to tasteless hotel strips. There are several hundred ruins and the list goes on ...
    If you have a schedule it is easier to give you some tips.
    BTW There is no shopping for photo gear opportunities in this area.

Peter
    Photos are made four inches behind the camera

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Don't have much time. I am the kind of person who'll sit in a town of 500 for two to four days if I can. This is why I have never been on a cruise. Truth be told, the only reason I am going is because it was a gift. Not knocking on cruises, just not my thing. Anyway,

Costa Maya - 12 pm to 5 pm
    Santo Tomas - 10 am to 5 pm
    Belize City - 10 am to 5 pm
    Cozumel - 10 am to 5 pm

Any suggestions on cheap places to shop for gear? Another forum suggests that I probably will not get so lucky.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    to put it bluntly, you're screwed. With those hours, not only are you stuck during the worst time of day lightwise, but you won't have enough time to do anything other than be a good little consumer and buy ticky-tacky tourist souvenir crap. Belize City is an absolute hole - there is a just-ok part of the Old City in Belize City to wander around and take a few photos - the Government House is picturesque, as well as the mechanical bridge down by the harbor. Do stop by the central post office to get some postage stamps- Belize makes some beautiful postage stamps which you can buy in collectors sets. Be VERY careful of your surroundings though. The crossover from safe to hazardous is about the width of one block.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin