Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,303   Posts: 1,536,258   Online: 796

Thread: Port Townsend

Shooter
    Medium Format

Port Townsend

Greetings All,

I'm going to be in Port Townsend, WA for a couple of weeks in March, and I wonder if anyone here can recommend any "must photo" places... and really any other "must dos" in that area.

Thanks,
    Mike

I was in that area in 1979 and several things caught my eye:

--Fort Warden (near there). This is an old fort from the Spanish and American war era that guarded the Straights of Juan deFuca (sorry if I spelled it wrong). It had hugh 18+ inch gun emplacements and wonderful officer and enlisted man's quarters. It is right on the water.

They filmed "An Officer and a Gentleman" at Fort Warden. Very nice place to walk around.

--Dungeness Spit

A beautiful spit "extended penisula" into the Straights that is great to go onto a photography the sunset or sunrise.

--Olympic National Forrest: "Hurricaine Ridge"

I actually took my bicycle up that hill. its 5+ miles of vertical climb I think directly out of Port Townsend into the park. Then it was an hour or so hike to some of the most scenic areas of the National Park there.

--The docks in Port Townsend. It was a working port when I was there. It still maybe a bustling fishing port. I am not sure. I remember lots of fish packing plants, etc. in the area.

--Also, if you have time, there is a ferry that goes over to Victora, B.C. Victoria is a wonderful town. The whole area of Vancouver Island is beautiful. I took my bike up to the "Gulf Islands" that are east of Vancouver Island and it was beautiful.

There are so many great places there to take pictures.

Lastly, a little south of there is the Bremmerton sub base. I am not sure if they let people on the base to take pictures given the security environment but I found it was interesting to take pictures near where the Subs enter the base on the water. Very interesting pictures. If memory serves it is a "Bommer" base (strategic missle submarines).

Hope this helps.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I go up to Port Townsend quite a bit, and can definitely recommend Fort Worden (note spelling). The hilltop gun emplacements and bunkers are fun to explore. The ones by the lighthouse are easier to get to, but the ones above are much more interesting. See http://www.fortworden.org/. A good guide to Port Townsend is at http://www.ptguide.com/.

A very nice day trip (in good weather) would be to head up to Hurricane Ridge, in the Olympic National Park (http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisi...in-winter.htm).

The trip to Victoria, would actually have to be done from Port Angeles, about 35 miles to the west of Port Townsend.

The downtown area is small, but historic. There are two great brewery/brewpubs in town (http://www.porttownsendbrewing.com and http://www.waterstreetbrewing.com). The museum is also very good (look for a guy named Plummer in the history of the town ).

larry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you Jeffrey and Larry for all the great information.

I'll look for all the places you mention. I have friends on Whidbey, and will probably spend some time out there as well. And I'll probably stay at the hostel at Fort Worden for my accomodations. Seems like the possibilities are endless... especially for a landscape photographer like me.

Many thanks again,
    Mike

Larry,

Thanks for refreshing my memory. Its been almost 30 years ago and I was doing it all from memory. I think the town at the bottom of hurricaine ridge is Port Angeles and that's the fishing town I was thinking of.

Have fun Mike. Its threads like this that make this site.

--Jeffrey
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    --Olympic National Forrest: "Hurricane Ridge"

--Victoria B.C. if you have never been up there before and you miss it you will always regret it. An absolute much see.

If you have a car go to Beach 1 and Beach 2, not that far from Port Angeles.
    You can take cross at Port Angeles over to Victoria also. Hurricane Ridge road starts at the edge of Port Angeles, maybe you could combine the two.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ... whoops, some small errors in my links (you've probably figured it out already):

http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisi...-in-winter.htm
    http://www.waterstreetbrewing.com/

larry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Fort Casey on Whidbey Island is also a good spot. What to photograph at Fort Worden? I have many images posted on my website. Go to the Labyrinth section of the web site to see what it looks like. Well, looks like to me, anyway.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    PT (Port Townsend): Visit the Gallery 9 (www.gallery-9.com) co-op. There are some members that are photographers, (including myself). There are several other galleries there too. There is usually some music in the form of concerts and clubs. If you like blues, the Upstage brings in some national acts on their off days from working in the Seattle area. This is usually on Thursday’s. They have other local acts, blues and otherwise, also.

PA (Port Angeles): Going west of PA (Port Angeles), there is Lake Crescent. A scenic, windy two lane highway runs along a lake with many pullouts. It is generally best to use the pull outs as you go west so you don’t have to cross over the oncoming traffic as you would coming back (east). Along the lake is a ONP lodge / recreation area that is nice to stop at. There is a good French Restaurant on your right just as you enter PA, C’est si Bon. More expensive than most in PA, PT areas, but a there are not many restaurants of this caliber around the area, especially outside of PT. PT has plenty of restaurants of all sorts of price ranges, albeit most not quite as pricey as C’est si Bon, (or as good either).

Lake Crescent: On the far side of the lake from the 101 highway is a popular hiking / bike trail called the Spruce (RR) Trail. It was a RR used during the WW to haul spruce trees they logged from the Bogachiel Valley of ONP to be used for building airplanes. It can be accessed from either end (west or east).

Sol Duc, ONP (Olympic National Park): After the lake, up the hill, and at the ‘summit’ is the ONP Sol Duc Falls / Hot Springs road. There are several trails off this road that are nice. Being from AK it will be similar forest though. At the end of the road is a resort, hot springs (public for a fee), and of course the Sol Duc falls.

Rialto Beach, ONP: Going further west about 30 minutes from the Sol Duc road on highway 101 is another section of ONP to the west of Forks, WA called Rialto Beach. A lot of large driftwood, offshore islands / mounts, and good beach walking at low tide. High tide puts you in the soft stuff but it is still an okay walk.

Indian Island / Port Hadlock / Chimicum: Just a few miles south of PT and just south of Port Hadlock is a road to Indian Island. The area under the bridge that takes you over the water to Indian Island is an area that can be interesting. Just as you come off the bridge there will be a parking area on your right. Walk back under the bridge (low tide) and the typography and sculpted sand stone can be interesting. If you go here, just down the road is the Chimicum Café. A local café of some repute for it pies and home cooking. You won’t need to be in a coat and tie for this place. A little more upscale, but not in anyway formal is the Ajax Café at Port Hadlock. You can wear any of the many hats hung on the walls. Can be fun with a group.

Port Ludlow: If you play golf, Port Ludlow is well thought of, but I think the ‘Timbers’ course is brutal and avoid it as most other duffers I know do. The others are much more fun and great views (on a clear day).
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow... Thank you Joe and Wally for all the great information. I think I'm all set now. I'll be heading out on the 1st, and then stay for two weeks. I'm very much looking forward to the break from the cold and white here in Alaska.

Many thanks again to everyone.
    Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin