Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,831   Posts: 1,582,300   Online: 1047

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Exactly. I would have demanded a ticket...oh please give me a day in court over bullshit like this...
    This was my first thought on reading the original post!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't have the regs in front of me right now but there are two phrases in them that they use as a carch-all to screw with us.

One is "Hand Held" meaning no tripod. The other is "Self contained" that can be used to mean anything other than a simple point and shoot. They can include LF film holders, off camera flashes, hand held light meters and even interchangable lenses. Anything not part of the camera body.

How do I know this? NPS told me so. I have had the same problems in Death valey, Zion and Arches. Death Valey was by far the worst.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Okay, I found "Ranger Bob" and sent him a PM. Let's hope he sees it and can provide some real information here.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ha, it seems like the NPS doesn't want tripods but are gung-ho over snowmobiles and atvs...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interestingly, when my GF, a couple models, a MUA and I were out there in January after Photo LA, we were stopped too (I had the tripod, yellow hassey, d****** camera and lots of lighting gear). Explained what I was doing (collaborative work for our portfolio), showed some of my work, asked if he'd like to be part of the shoot and he said OK. "Next time get a permit."

Similar thing happened on Santa Monica Beach. Actually used the "Beach Officer" in the shoot too. He was also thrilled. Made him sign a release - the irony.

When dealing with Napoleonic men in 'power', seems like grumpy old men with big ass cameras doesn't do it. BUT, it helps to have some gorgeous women in skimpy clothing around!

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 02-26-2007 at 12:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The basic policy looks fairly cut and dry to me. Most parks have a headquarters/administration where you can ask specific questions in advance.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/dig...rlarea=permits

The other side of this "story" is . . . you were either "hassled" or you were not. If you were, then it is imperative that you contact the park administration and get clarification on this matter, without delay. Explain your experience exactly as it occured. "You" must approach this matter in a mature/professional manner. It is always advantageous to make your intentions known in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I recall seeing a posting recently about a statement issued by the Director of the NPS trying to clarify in a positive way their position on non-commercial photography, but I wasn't able to find it in a quick search this morning.

Seems like there is a choice:

1. Anything not specifically permitted is prohibited.

versus

2. Anything not specifically prohibited is permitted.

The latter is what should happen in a free society, but it seems to me that we are moving in the direction of the former.
    Louie

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Ok, I've had enough. I will start here and go from there. Maybe these guys will be sympathetic. These are the guys that house the NPS photo collection....most of which were probalby taken with a TRIPOD!!!

NPS Historic Photograph Collection

There are presently 2000 images from the Collection available online. The collections of several eminent National Park Service photographers, including Jack Boucher, Arno B. Cammerer, George A. Grant, and Abbie Rowe, are also included in the Collection

What Harpers Ferry Center Provides
    Contact Harpers Ferry Center for media assistance or to start a media project. Give us a call at 304-535-5050The National Park Service Historic Photograph Collection is comprised of more than two million images which cover a wide variety of subjects: Park architecture, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), Native American heritage, NPS personnel, roads and transportation, scenic views, and much more.

I will call these guys and work my way up the ladder. I pay more than my fair share of taxes to be hassled with a tripod.

Let's gang up on this one.....

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I was hassled at the NPS San Antonio several years ago and was told I needed a permit. I packed up and went to see the man in charge since I wanted this to be a legit project and if I needed a permit I was willing to get one. The man in charge told me that I did not need a permit and the ranger that told me that was wrong. If I was shooting a commercial for TV or print media ok but for my own project I was good to go. I went back many times and was never hassled again.

lee\c

Images
    I was in DV the weekend before you with tripod, et al. No hassles. I have never been hassled there, but I know others that have been. One friend was asked by a ranger if he was a professional since my friend was using a tripod. My friend asked the ranger what his hobby was -- "fishing". So my friend asked the ranger if he had a boat. "Yes". Did the boat make him a professional? I think that was the end of that.

I imagine in your case you looked like a workshop and there are lots of them there all the time. You have to admit that it is pretty unusual to have that many people together in one place with tripods and big cameras.

I have forwarded this thread to a NPS administrator/ranger that I know. I'll let you know if I hear back.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin