Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,971   Online: 1179

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Colorado in May?

Hi folks,

My husband is going to attend meeting in Boulder in May and I'd like to come along - of course, accompanied by several cameras. Is that a good time to go? And what would you think are the main must-sees and must-take-photos-of at that time? As I understand it, Colorado is one huge must-see, of course, but is there anything to avoid or to do in particular at that time? It's probably around mid-March. Any input is highly appreciated!

Antje

Shooter
    Large Format
    You'll be close to Rocky Mountain National Park. The road to Bear Lake should be open and there will be lots of snow on the mountains. There are thousands of grand landscape opportunities in the park. Lots of turn offs and parking lots. Not as many people that time of year. You'll be close enough to make long day trips. It does seem to like to rain every late afternoon, which at higher altitudes is snow.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    May along the front range is like earlier spring anywhere else. The trees start leafing out in late April and by May the spring colors are beautiful. The spring flowers are in bloom but the alpine wildflowers are still unavailable. It is a very nice time here. I second the beautiful vistas in Rocky Mountain National Park at that time and all through the summer.
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Antje,
    Boulder county is half in the mountains and half on the plains. I would say the best places to visit in may would be the Hall Ranch open space and Chitaqua open space. Both should be beautiful in May. Chitaqua is right up against the flatirons (big mountains) and is breath taking. I always see deer coyote etc. there. Here is a link to all of the Boulder County open spaces with maps etc. it should help. http://www.co.boulder.co.us/openspace/

Send me a PM if you want closer to your trip and I can tell you what is clear and greening up and what's still covered in snow.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Go to Camera Obscura in Denver, it is close to the Art museum...very small and a treasure trove of original photographs, White, O'Sullivan, Adams, Weston, et al....Hal Gould is there in person on several days a week...one of the most knowledgeable men in America on photographic prints and photo history...
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It will be towards the end of mud season (also known as spring everywhere else), so good boots will be helpful.

Rocky Mountain National Park is a must-see. Trail Ridge Road across the top of the park may or may not be open then. For park info see:
    http://www.nps.gov/romo/

Wild flowers should be blooming across much of the park by then.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A whole lot of snow is going to fall between now and then. What ever plans you make they have to be tenative, depending on conditions in May. You don't say if it's early or late May and that could make for major changes.

You can plan on a high country trip but have a plan to leave your hubby in Boulder while you hop over to Moab just in case. In fact coming all the way from Germany drop your husband in Boulder and go to Moab anyway. You will have Arches and Canyonlands right there and go home with a tan.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow, thanks guys! I'm starving to see wildlife and mountains. That should be fantastic. Photobum, the tan should be taken care of next month in San Diego - conferences can be so much fun.

Antje

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin