Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,069   Online: 790

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JustK View Post
    Greetings! I hope I have the right forum for this question!

A friend of mine photographs nudes, and she works primarily out of her home, but she would like to begin photographing nudes in more industrial settings, adding industrial-structural-architectural elements to her photos.

Can anyone offer any tips or advice for finding such venues? or for incorporating these kinds of elements?

Thanks!
    Cheers, K
    I guess the best tip I could offer is to wear safety shoes, a hard hat & safety goggles.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl View Post
    I guess the best tip I could offer is to wear safety shoes, a hard hat & safety goggles.
    LOL! Now that would make for an interesting portfolio, but I don't think that's what my friend has in mind, but thanks anyways for the tips!
    Cheers, K

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce terry View Post
    Why do so-called "photographers" even DO this?
    For the same reasons that many will photograph locomotives, waterfalls, doorknobs, slot canyons ... clouds (Stieglitz was asked why he photographed clouds - his answer, "In their formations I see nude women.")

Briefly put ... I don't know, other than photographing something you WANT to photograph beats hell out of photographing something you do NOT want to photograph.

Aren't maybe, 99.99% of these kind of shots lacking in CONTEXT?
    ???? I see PLENTY of "context'. Is my meaning of "context" different from yours? What do you mean by "context"?

...I have no issue with "offbeat" images - or attempting them - but to be worth the viewers attention the finished product must make sense - tell something! Maplethorpe's stuff for example is way, way out there but definitely carries a message. Ditto Newton - faux, frank, humerous, and "gotcha". Naked-in-a-factory with no context however is simply silly.
    "Must make sense"... To me that is not a requirement for being "Art". If one has to study deeply, and rationalize - and defend everything - there is a great tendency to loose track of one's emotions - one's reflex response to the image. I have learned to NOT rationalize and just DO!

What message does Mapplethorpes' work (I assume you are referring to the intensely "nekkid" stuff) "carry"?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by haris View Post
    And I wonder would Peter Linbergh have problems shooting nudes in industrial places...
    Peter Lindberg wouldn't have any problems, but he has the money and the notoriety to pull it off. He probably knows someone who knows the owner, etc.

Patrick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach View Post
    For the same reasons that many will photograph locomotives, waterfalls, doorknobs, slot canyons ... clouds (Stieglitz was asked why he photographed clouds - his answer, "In their formations I see nude women.")

Briefly put ... I don't know, other than photographing something you WANT to photograph beats hell out of photographing something you do NOT want to photograph.

???? I see PLENTY of "context'. Is my meaning of "context" different from yours? What do you mean by "context"?

"Must make sense"... To me that is not a requirement for being "Art". If one has to study deeply, and rationalize - and defend everything - there is a great tendency to loose track of one's emotions - one's reflex response to the image. I have learned to NOT rationalize and just DO!

What message does Mapplethorpes' work (I assume you are referring to the intensely "nekkid" stuff) "carry"?
    Thanks Ed for tackling these issues and posing these questions, I couldn't even begin to address them... Blessings, K

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The only real objection I can think of is safety. Old industrial facilities are great for all kinds of oppertunity. Avoiding "cliche"as stated in a previous post is going to be everywhere. So that should simply be an awareness issue, not one for avoiding a great environments. My suggestion would be to walk the location in differing times of day and get a vibe for the place. Have a plan, then just have fun. Light and shapes in those types of places can be amazing! Not to mention the ghosts!!!!
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomassauerwein View Post
    The only real objection I can think of is safety. Old industrial facilities are great for all kinds of oppertunity. Avoiding "cliche"as stated in a previous post is going to be everywhere. So that should simply be an awareness issue, not one for avoiding a great environments. My suggestion would be to walk the location in differing times of day and get a vibe for the place. Have a plan, then just have fun. Light and shapes in those types of places can be amazing! Not to mention the ghosts!!!!

K, check out Thomas's work if you want inspiration, truly excellent nude and figure work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Krystyna... if your friend pulls it off, I hope she will share some of the work!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    Peter Lindberg wouldn't have any problems, but he has the money and the notoriety to pull it off. He probably knows someone who knows the owner, etc.

Patrick

I know, I write that because he did it, and he had big success with that series of photographs ...
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    35mm RF

Naked in a factory

Ed - What I mean by context in an image is as I said: I have no issue with "offbeat" images - or attempting them - but to be worth the viewers attention the finished product must make sense - tell something!

What you say about "response" is right-on and exactly my point!! "If one has to study deeply, and rationalize - and defend everything - there is a great tendency to loose track of one's emotions - one's reflex response to the image." Out shooting you see a doorknob that makes sense in your gut and you "catch" it. If it's a doorknob that hasn't told you something you don't mull, you simply snap it or not according to your film-use regimen and take your emotion on to another doorknob or another locomotive. Isn't it the same with viewing a finished product? Something causes you to immediately stop and enjoy it ... or suffer abject shock over it, i.e. the rude, frank, "nekkid" Mapplethorpe genitalias that if nothing else make a mockery of the patently lame, petty and prurient. Newton does the same with much softer and saner stuff.

Krystyna - Naked in a factory or on a Mack - male or female - is a challenge Whimpy-Me will never get around to undertaking and I apologize to you and your good friend and everyone else for pronouncing it all "silly". A picture will surely cross my path and make me take pause ... I just haven't come upon one yet. I too would really love to see your friend's takes within this venue, have her make a mockery of me.

Respectfully submitted,

Bruce

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin