Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,552   Online: 781

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Nude Photography in Industrial Settings

Greetings! I hope I have the right forum for this question!

A friend of mine photographs nudes, and she works primarily out of her home, but she would like to begin photographing nudes in more industrial settings, adding industrial-structural-architectural elements to her photos.

Can anyone offer any tips or advice for finding such venues? or for incorporating these kinds of elements?

Thanks!
    Cheers, K

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Around Connecticut, I'm sure there must be some abandoned warehouse/factory type buildings. I'd look for some, then ask around and find out who owns them. Then approach the owners for permission. About the last thing I'd want to have to do is to explain to the police and the EMT's why I was somewhere like that and my model (or I) fell and hurt themselves, or worse, encountered something that looked structurally sound but wasn't, and brought down a wall or roof, necessitating 911 services. In your area, what MIGHT be easier would be to find a museum that does living history of the Industrial Revolution and see if you can shoot in there during off-hours. I have found a few places that I shoot outdoors that include architectural elements, but those are usually on public property where public nudity is legal (Golden Gate National Recreational Area, in San Francisco).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Greetings! I hope I have the right forum for this question!

A friend of mine photographs nudes, and she works primarily out of her home, but she would like to begin photographing nudes in more industrial settings, adding industrial-structural-architectural elements to her photos.

Can anyone offer any tips or advice for finding such venues? or for incorporating these kinds of elements?

Thanks!
    Cheers, K

K, I have experience in photographing nudes in an industrial setting. See www.abqartists.com Craig Roberts. Besides the technical problems, there are a lot of liability issues that come up. Unfortunately most places now are so conscious of potential law suites, that gaining the necessary permission is difficult. I don't recommend the stealth approach, just too risky. In the series I did, I had permission to be in the factory after hours. Although I do not make my living from photography, I carry personal liability insurance. All that said; I am still looking for more opportunities to juxtapose the human figure against the machine. Good luck to your friend. Craig

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Roberts View Post
    Besides the technical problems, there are a lot of liability issues that come up. Unfortunately most places now are so conscious of potential law suits, that gaining the necessary permission is difficult. I don't recommend the stealth approach, just too risky. In the series I did, I had permission to be in the factory after hours.
    First, a caveat: I don't like shooting "industrial nudes," any more than I like shooting "environmental nudes." It seems contrived to me. And, unless you have some really extreme ideas waaaay out there, it's clichéd.

With that caveat: I was once asked to shoot an outdoor series with a woman who wanted to use the photos for promotional purposes. (No questions, please.) I took her down to Wall Street early on a Saturday morning -- cobblestones, monumental architecture, great light, no people. At least, that was the plan.

We started in front of the Cocoa Exchange. It's a landmark building on a perfect location. The location was ruined by a big Mack truck -- work crews gutting the old Harriman Bros. bank building had cordoned off the surrounding streets. We shot a couple of rolls of her in front of the Mack truck.

http://www.pbase.com/studionyc/image/31450186

The truck belonged to a Saturday crew of construction workers. The Saturday foreman was an electrician. He came over and took an interest (guess why). To make a long story short, the crew adopted us, gave us free run of the site. We shot a half-dozen rolls on Exchange Place,

http://www.pbase.com/studionyc/image/31450254

and a few more in the hopper of a backhoe

http://www.pbase.com/studionyc/image/31450250

and still more inside the building.

http://www.pbase.com/studionyc/image/33046618

There's a moral to this story. Had we tried to arrange this shoot in advance, it never ever would have come off, for all the reasons Craig noted, and more -- the entire work site was paralyzed by the collective libidos of a hundred stunned drooling (but entirely respectful) union guys.

BUT

If you find a place that you want to do a shoot like this, and just show up with your model and a couple of assistants, odds are the guys working the site will be MORE THAN HAPPY to let you in and shoot. Especially if it's a Saturday shift, when the bosses are more likely to be away. The foreman of that job told us we were free to come back any Saturday.

He also asked me for prints to prove to the weekday laborers that it really happened. I was mobbed when I brought them by the site a few days later. It's not my gig, but it was a lot of fun.

Sanders

Shooter
    Large Format
    The title made me wonder if Hef was shooting the "Girls of US Steel" :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And I wonder would Peter Linbergh have problems shooting nudes in industrial places...
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all so much for the advice, caveats, photos, and stories! It seems that it will take a bit of planning, and maybe some luck!!

One good thing to come out of this so far is that my friend finally registered with APUG, I've been telling her what a great resource this place is, and you all just made my point!!!

Blessings, K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of the Nude in the House shows was done in a closed factory. Might have some info on the Chum TV website. Or maybe City?

It's the usual 10ish different photographers shooting with one camera,one lens and one roll of film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by JustK View Post
    Why do so-called "photographers" even DO this?

Maybe I'm just not arty enough to appreciate the creative, sensual subtleness of a naked female in spiked heels draped over the forks of a fork-lift truck or the hood of a Mack.

Aren't maybe, 99.99% of these kind of shots lacking in CONTEXT?

I have no issue with "offbeat" images - or attempting them - but to be worth the viewers attention the finished product must make sense - tell something! Maplethorpe's stuff for example is way, way out there but definitely carries a message. Ditto Newton - faux, frank, humerous, and "gotcha". Naked-in-a-factory with no context however is simply silly.

... OK. Let's see. Hmmm. Lucy! Take off those high heels and hang upsidedown from that empty meat hook between those skinned cow flanks ... I know you're a little cold but there's a message here ... this really works for me! Helmut eat your heart out! Gonna call it "Grade A Prime". Lucy? Lucy? Lucy??

Bruce

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Why do so-called "photographers" even DO this?"
    "Naked-in-a-factory with no context however is simply silly."

Greetings Bruce and All!

Since I posed the question for my friend, I want to address the assumption that Bruce is making here, because I was asking about how to secure industrial venues, and I didn't say anything about the kind of photography that my friend does, and it's not what you think!!!

I can say that the context (industrial) most definitely fits the kind of work she does and her vision for this portfolio - she photographs male nudes, her images are abstract and dynamic, and she lith prints them beautifully.

I hope one day she will post some photos or share her website with the group!

Blessings, K

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin