Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,160   Online: 822

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images
    I returned to one of my favorite spots on the California coast yesterday... Pigeon Point Lighthouse. I have been there several times before, but not in the last year. I drove up around 10:30 AM after stopping in Santa Cruz to photograph the largest waves to hit Santa Cruz in recent history, and to my amazement, my lighthouse was boarded up! The paint was peeling, and there was a temporary cyclone fence put up around it. There was a sign saying that in December of 2001 a chunk of the tower fell to the ground, the California Coast Guard has refused to fix it, and the state of California is trying to find budget to purchase and restore it. Wevy sad indeed!

hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bummer. I thought you were going to say you returned to find it had been torn down and replaced with condos. That's what usually happens

Climb the fence, find a way to document what is happenng. It'll make for nteresting shots, and maybe provide the "kick iin the pants" needed to get the restoration project up and running.

I did this with a "konigshof" here in Germany. (A place where a Kaiser would stay overnight where traveling through the region.) Built in about 1400, the place was falling to the gound, roof sagging, really sad. Comments were, the place had to be restored according to historical guidlines, which was cost prohibitive. FINALLY, a group of banks and other companies bankrolled the project. The architect and others responsible were thrilled to learn that I had documented the place in near ruines. They also commisioned me to do the "after" shots as well. Turned out fine in the long run. The place is being saved, as well as my bank account
    - William Levitt

Images
    I am actually working on a series of photos of California lighthouses, Saturday's day trip has totally lit a fire under me... I was going to go all the way from SF to Oregon in February, but I am thinking of going first week of December now. I took a shot from the same spot as I had taken a year earlier... side by side, they have a huge impact.

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shoot it on digital and clone out the fence. No? Choose another angle using a ladder. Shoot it as is as a "save our West coast lighthouses".
    Or take a picture as is and send it to the Rep.'s and Senators.

I like to drive north at dusk hoping to get to the light house just before the sun goes down to get the best photographs you are going to get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a Pigeon Point photograph attached but the attachment didn't work. Just like the Pigeon Point maintenance program. I wonder if the Youth Hostel is still there for travelers?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is sad to see these things happen.. Perhaps some group will purchase it and restore it. Maybe it is on the Historic register.. that may help.

My favorite spot here is an old fire observation tower made of stone. I visited it a year ago and found graffiti all over the front. I left disgusted and without photos. Six months later it was cleaned up by a historic society and looks great again.

I hope the Lighthouse is restored..

Best Wishes,
    John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    I am actually working on a series of photos of California lighthouses, ...
    then be willing to shoot it just as it is, if you want an honest (non-sentimentalizing) series. The hardest thing is to see what's there for itself.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cyclone fence? What cyclone fence?

The fence has been there for quite a while, and unfortunately, I doubt that the lighthouse will be fixed/restored any time soon.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Things like that happen pretty well everywhere, unfortunately. Everytime I go to the coast, I see just yards and yards of trash - most left by the fishermen (beer cans, etc). It is getting harder to be able to go places I used to go all the time.

Here on Oahu, the city recently took away all the road side parking along the beach, and is forcing everyone into parking lots (where lots of cars are broken into). This means you can no longer stop along the beach to take photographs, and if you park in the lot, not only do you have to worry about your car being broken into, but you have to face the speeding traffic (people here don't follow speed limits either) while walking along the road to your chosen spot.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin