Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,804   Online: 686

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    If Virginia is for lovers, you, my friend are not doing your part!

It's a good one, John, cheers!

Alex W.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    Roger, you may be thinking of Mark Thomas. A man whose exploits I always have time for.
    Dear Andy,

Absolutely correct. Unfortunately Wanadoo/Orange is currently failing to deliver both Google and (worse) the BBC, so I couldn't check.

I'd heartily recommend that anyone worried by this New York idea check the site you so kindly linked. And buy a McDemo! When will they franchise this to New York?

Cheers, and thanks very much,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't intend any insult to New Yorkers but, guys, you really need to do something about your bureaucrats. Admittedly, we have these self-serving government types everywhere but NYC is a nightmare of regulatory stupidity.

I never watch the cable so-called news talk shows at night but I flipped by one last night that made me stop for a few moments. A guy from New Jersey was in NYC with his dog. He apparently left the dog in his vehicle for a few minutes to return and find someone had broken in and his dog had gotten loose. Trying to find the dog, he discovered the city had impounded the animal and would not release it to him until it had been neutered (for which he would have to pay, of course). He won a court injuction to get his dog back, to which the city appealed and, by doing so, could legally keep his dog. Through some legal maneuvering, he mangaged to get the animal returned after paying $10,000 to the city. Admittedly, this is only one person's side to the story but if any part of it is factual, it underscores the nightmare.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Permits required. Sure hope this doesn't mean the end of the free lunch and snacks snaggable at film shoots?

At most professional film shoots in the City there is usually a table set up with sandwich fixings, cookies, chips etc. intended to feed the hungry film crew. It is perhaps more of an urban myth than reality but rumor has it that some of my fellow citizens (not me of course ) feel it is their civic right to help themselves to the goodies. The reasoning is that since we locals are being inconvenienced by the blocked sidewalks filled with snaking cables we should get a free lunch as recompense!

One of the incidental casualties of this proposed rule could be that no longer will three or more SVA students be allowed to simultaneously shoot together when they are sent out on class assignment to photograph fire hydrants! :o

In a more serious vein, I do think there is a risk of "selective enforcement". But that will certainly result in an ACLU lawsuit.

And in an even more serious vein than that - to the fellow in Virginia - I do want to thank you for your hospitality. In case you are unaware of it - most of NYC's garbage is barged and then trucked to landfills in your fair Commonwealth! Enjoy the aroma during this Summer's heat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    And in an even more serious vein than that - to the fellow in Virginia - I do want to thank you for your hospitality. In case you are unaware of it - most of NYC's garbage is barged and then trucked to landfills in your fair Commonwealth! Enjoy the aroma during this Summer's heat.
    Actually, it's mostly not trucked to the state, it comes in on freight trains, 3- 40,000lb containers to a car and 60-90 cars in a train. Of course, prior to going to our or Pennsylvania's (PA is the big importer) landfills, NYC was simply dumping it in the ocean. Ah, the days of red bags of medical waste washing up on the beaches. Summer in the city...

Interestingly enough, when we tried to stop it in the legislature, the Great State of New York filed suit based on the Interstate Commerce Act and is allowed to continue the practice. In other words, it will take a Federal law to prevent New York from dumping its waste in Virginia.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdavis View Post
    In other words, it will take a Federal law to prevent New York from dumping its waste in Virginia.
    No shit?

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdavis View Post

Interestingly enough, when we tried to stop it in the legislature, the Great State of New York filed suit based on the Interstate Commerce Act and is allowed to continue the practice. In other words, it will take a Federal law to prevent New York from dumping its waste in Virginia.
    Yes, and it was a slam dunk lawsuit. You see, your legislators knew all along that they would lose - they just played politics. An earlier suit that went to the Supreme Court affirmed the fact that whether it's widgets or garbage, no State can prohibit interstate trade in goods and services.

And no Federal law would ever stand up either - the ruling was based on the Commerce Clause of the Constitution - not the Interstate Commerce Act. You'd need an Amendment thereto to restrain trade in garbage. Now I'd say "don't hold your breath" but in this context that could have several interpretations!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    No shit?

Cheers,

R.
    Well it's mostly household trash, but I guess that there are a few disposable diapers in there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Yes, and it was a slam dunk lawsuit. You see, your legislators knew all along that they would lose - they just played politics. An earlier suit that went to the Supreme Court affirmed the fact that whether it's widgets or garbage, no State can prohibit interstate trade in goods and services.

And no Federal law would ever stand up either - the ruling was based on the Commerce Clause of the Constitution - not the Interstate Commerce Act. You'd need an Amendment thereto to restrain trade in garbage. Now I'd say "don't hold your breath" but in this context that could have several interpretations!
    Actually a federal law not addressing Interstate Commerce could work just fine. Your response assumes that such legislation (ie. singling out interstate trash) is the only way that we can put a stop to this. I can assure you that there are other legal methods to stop this. Whether it's a matter of weight restrictions on roads, environmental issues with the landfills, onerous speed limits for trucks hauling the containers from the rail to the landfill etc, there are ways that it can be stopped.

For example, every trash truck checked at a recent spot weigh station was overweight, some by tons (ie 110,000lbs rather than 80,000lbs). The fines reached into the many thousands of dollars. With new DMV rules, those fines will be connected to drivers and thus the companies can no longer go bankrupt and then start a new company to avoid them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a valid topic, new restrictions on photographers. I really don't think there's any need for all this trash talk...

...I'll get me coat.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin