Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,818   Online: 798

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    This is a valid topic, new restrictions on photographers. I really don't think there's any need for all this trash talk...

...I'll get me coat.
    good answer

Shooter
    35mm
    I was in New Yuck city once and I wasn't impressed. I'll consider this one more reason to keep New Yuck City on my list of places to never see again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't help but think that while there may be a valid concern behind the proposal, everything ultimately depends on the form of the final rule and how it is enforced.

A factoid mentioned on the news tonight is that NYC hosts 48 million tourists each year. I would venture that each tourist spends something around $100 per day of each visit. That's a lot of money. I would certainly hope the the geniuses who are behind this make sure that it can't be abused in a way that drives tourists away.

On the other hand, politicians have never demonstrated the ability to think beyond the next election, so why should anything be different in this case?
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xford35mm View Post
    I was in New Yuck city once and I wasn't impressed. I'll consider this one more reason to keep New Yuck City on my list of places to never see again.
    Really?? I wonder, then, what it must take to start your engine. You must write a cogent critique about what's missing and let us know so we can try and fix it. I'm sure the theaters, concert halls, museums, galleries, stadiums, hotels, restaurants, ethnic neighborhoods and their cuisines and customs, local industries, stock markets, financial centers, universities, just for openers, and all the myriad of folks who populate those endeavors will be agog to read what a fellow from Kentucky has to offer. All New York awaits your revelation! Please...amaze us!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Really?? I wonder, then, what it must take to start your engine. You must write a cogent critique about what's missing and let us know so we can try and fix it. I'm sure the theaters, concert halls, museums, galleries, stadiums, hotels, restaurants, ethnic neighborhoods and their cuisines and customs, local industries, stock markets, financial centers, universities, just for openers, and all the myriad of folks who populate those endeavors will be agog to read what a fellow from Kentucky has to offer. All New York awaits your revelation! Please...amaze us!
    The problem may not be what is missing, but what is in abundance. It just might be the condescending attitudes of some of the citizens. This New York is the center of the universe thing gets old for the other 242million of us. Believe it or not, there is life and art and theatre, and restaurants, stadiums, hotels, ethnicity and cuisine outside of New York.

When did you last sit on the front porch and listen to the crickets, or watch a thunderstorm work its way across the salt marshes toward you, or see an Eagle in your front yard? When did your neighbors last show up to help you put up a fence or build a barn? When was the last time that you picked wild blackberries by the bucket or caught fresh bass or made stew for 200 people?

You comment about people being "agog to read what a fellow from Kentucky has to offer," is condescending and mean. This fellow from Virginia graduated from the Top public Art School in the nation. His documentary work has been screened at Cannes. While still in high school (27 years ago) he had stories run on the ABC Evening News. He farms for fun, manages high performance computing for a Research I University, lectures for graduate classes, publishes on computing, has published in newspapers and multiple magazines. He also hunts, fishes, and photographs.

Just because we're not from New York City doesn't make us stupid or our thoughts and feelings invalid.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdavis View Post

Just because we're not from New York City doesn't make us stupid or our thoughts and feelings invalid.

Mike
    You're quite right, you're neither stupid nor are your thoughts and feelings invalid. However, 'dissing' NYC isn't something I choose to accept unchallenged. I no longer live there, but live 'upstate' and enjoy many of the pleasures of rural life you describe. I also am lucky enough to be able to also access the city. Calling it "New Yuck City" is insulting. I'll stand by my statement.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Actually there is a very lively birding culture in New York. About half of North American bird species pass through New York every year. I'm more likely to see peregrine falcons, redtail hawks, or kestrels out my window than eagles, because they live in the neighborhood, but I have seen bald eagles, flocks of migrating turkey vultures, as well as osprey fishing in the Hudson from my window here in Manhattan.

And just to stay on topic, it's pretty common to see birders with scopes or cameras and long lenses using tripods in city parks as well as places like the Jamaica Bay National Wildlife Reserve (which is on the A train), and it would be very unusual to be stopped for a permit in any such location. The parks generally want to encourage birding and bird photography in the city.

My bird page is long overdue for an update, but if you go to http://www.echonyc.com/~goldfarb/photo, enter, and click on the mute swan, you can see some of my NYC bird photos.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xford35mm View Post
    Since domestic US tourists are the cheapest I can assure you - your pennies will NOT be missed.

Send me the Europeans, with their Euros yearning to be freed and put into the cash registers of our hotels, shops, theaters, museums, restaurants etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    You're quite right, you're neither stupid nor are your thoughts and feelings invalid. However, 'dissing' NYC isn't something I choose to accept unchallenged. I no longer live there, but live 'upstate' and enjoy many of the pleasures of rural life you describe. I also am lucky enough to be able to also access the city. Calling it "New Yuck City" is insulting. I'll stand by my statement.
    Jovo,

Don't get too upset, this kind of stuff is really uplifting. What was depressing was when folks like this got all teary-eyed about NYC after 9/11/01.

I am "soooo" glad to hear that the provincials hate us again - it means things are getting back to "normal". You know, big bad New York City filled with all those "strange" kinds of people!

[Oh, BTW, Jim, the US population passed 300 million a year ago - you need to update your data! :rolleyes: ]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    [Oh, BTW, Jim, the US population passed 300 million a year ago - you need to update your data! :rolleyes: ]
    But the new 50 million are outside of New York, so do they really even matter?

Who said anyone hated you or NYC. I just have no interest in going there.

Mike

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin