Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,533   Posts: 1,598,714   Online: 999

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

ARTICLE -- New York May Require Photography Permits

Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    This has already generated quite a thread on another system I frequent.

I don't think the sky is falling, but I am concerned about arbitrary and overzealous enforcement, as it's clear that two kids sitting on a park bench with cam phones for more than half an hour would cross the threshold.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Tripod permits are already required, but practical enforcement depends on location, time of day, etc. The permit is free and it takes about a day to get. I believe they used to require insurance, and lifted that requirement during the Bloomberg administration, so the new proposal would restore that requirement.

I don't usually like photographing in the busy, touristy areas of town, so I don't usually bother about the permit. There are certain areas where you are likely to be questioned when using a tripod or unusual looking camera, like the parks along the river in lower Manhattan, but they have their own permit requirements through the Parks Department, and usually let you go once they've ascertained that you're not doing commercial work. Central Park is fine as long as you're not blocking any access roads for too long.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Typical bureaucratic response to a botched misuse of (non-existent) regulations; here we go again.

A independent video maker is detained for shooting on the streets, told he must get a permit, but when he tries, he is refused and no explanation and no written guidelines are in existence for either granting or denying a permit.

So, he sues for his rights. Now, as part of a legal settlement brought about by the videomaker , the city has been forced to write guidelines, so they do so in very vague terms and refuse to tighten the laws to restrict them to the very persons they say they are aimed at regulating, with "assurances" they will do the right thing.

Its a form of crappy, bureaucratic "how-dare-you-question-my-authority" revenge posturing, dressed up as "flexibility".

Oh yeah, they ASSURE you they will not abuse the vague, all inclusive wording, but SOMEHOW I don't trust 'em with their past track record and attitude.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Government is your friend! They are there to protect your rights!

Actually, this is not a major personal issue for me. I don't like New York, don't go to New York, and only marginally care about whether they are still dumping raw sewage in the river or enforcing onerous requirements for photography.

On the other hand, the precedent is bad!!!!

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdavis View Post
    . I don't like New York, don't go to New York, and only marginally care about whether they are still dumping raw sewage in the river or enforcing onerous requirements for photography.
    If Virginia is for lovers, you, my friend are not doing your part!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Take careful note that I'm not the one making personal insults.

Mike

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    New York City Government: Increasingly friendly to the wishes of big business, increasingly dismissive and hostile to the rights of the individual.

More and more of the city's public (and parking) spaces are cordened off for private parties, additional police parking (even though the force isn't growing), lame redundant street fairs and movie sets but refeeding a parking meter a minute too late will result in $110 ticket for the individual taxpayer.

That being said, it's a stunning place in every way, the food is the best and the people are diverse and fascinating.
    Last edited by Jersey Vic; 06-29-2007 at 11:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic View Post
    .. refeeding a parking meter a minute too late will result in $110 ticket for the individual taxpayer.
    Feeding meters at all is illegal in most (all, as far as I know) of the UK.

This sounds like a case for Mass Individual Protests. A British comedian and civil libertarian has been organizing these for ages in London, where you need a permit for a demonstration. He applies for a permit for each location, maybe a dozen or more. The police are legally obliged to issue them. Then a dozen other people will also apply for permits, again a dozen each, all on the same day...

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger, you may be thinking of Mark Thomas. A man whose exploits I always have time for.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin