Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,649   Posts: 1,481,294   Online: 830

Anyone know of any out of the way or unusual places in Colorado?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have lived in Colorado and traveled and photographed in the state quite extensively for the past twenty years. Destinations within the state would be determined by your area of interest and the time of the year that you wish to visit there. Perhaps if you could share a little more information, I would be able to be of more help to you.

Regards,
    Donald Miller
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

I live in denver and was looking for a place with in driving distance for a day outing. And hopefully some place a bit unusual.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you wish to do scenics, in the Eagles Nest Wilderness area (between Silverthorne and Kremmling is a beautiful natural lake on the southwestern side of Green Mountain Reservoir. To the southwest of that lake (Named Lower Cataract Lake) is a mounstrous waterfall coming down the hillside. If you are so inclined you can find the trailhead nearby (the name escapes me now) which will take to up the mountain past Tipperary Lake and upward to Upper Cataract Lake. This is an awesome scene with the lake at 10,600 ft elevation but at the southern edge is a 13,600 ft rock headwall. This is a tough climb and is well worth the effort if you want an awesome photograph.

Another area is in Glenwood Canyon of the Colorado River. There is a trail leading to Hanging Lake. Another hiking trail of several miles, although not as extreme as the trail to Upper Cataract Lake. This is a beautiful site with the lake seemingly hanging at the end of a canyon.

Another area is south and west of Leadville in the Collegiate Peaks Range. This would be on the highway to Aspen Colorado (closed during winter). Many incredible photo opportunities along this drive. Once over Independence Pass, you will encounter the drainage of the Frying Pan River and there is an area that is known as the Grottos. Also an area known as Lincoln Creek. Many dense aspen stands immediately south east of Aspen.

Then there is the area south of Carbondale along the Crystal River. At the town of Marble you can drive the road to the largest marble deposit and quarry in the world. The well known and photographed Crystal Mill lies between Marble and the Crystal townsite.

South of Breckenridge Colorado over Hoosier Pass is the town of Alma. To the north and west of Alma (up the mountain by road) is a stand of Bristlecone pine trees. Sobering in the realization that these existed before the time of Christ.

These are obviously all best photographed during the summer months. I have many more suggestions, if you have already photographed these. However these are all within a day trip from Denver. Good luck and have fun.

Regards,
    Donald Miller
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin