Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,098   Online: 1076

So I'm going to be in San Antonio Tuesday and Wednesday and driving to Houston and back on Thursday. I will be taking a large format kit, probably 4x5.

Where should I go? Any DON"T MISS things to photograph? I am as interested in photographing interesting people and culture (storefronts, yardsales, etc) as I am in photographing more landscape things.

And if you point me to the Alamo, you automaticaly get demoted to "Apug Newbie". If you are already that, you get deported to photo.net.

Seriously...THANK YOU in advance for whatever cool things you can point me toward.

dgh

David G Hall

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well of course you cannot miss the missions. There are plenty of photo ops there. The river walk is just a big open air mall, so dont even waste your time there unless you want to eat and drink. It is excellent for that

In Houston is kind of though, Galveston would be a good bet early in the morning. Just whatever you do, please, please dont take a pic of the sky line.........

Ok, let me see, for store fronts and weird stuff the Montrose area is the artsy place to find some good ops.

If you actually feel like doing more seeing than taking pictures I recommend you go to the John Cleary Gallery in Colquit. There you will find many photographs by all those photographers you have heard, and the owner is very nice so if you ask he will let you see what he has that is special. Also dont forget the Houston Museum of Fine Arts, They have a wonderful photo collection and a very nice painting collection also.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    the Houston Center for Photography is on W. Alabama in the Montrose area also. They have up the auction show and should be open mid week on toward the weekend. The show has something for everyone.

lee\c

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    in sSan Antonio, if you go to the missions south of the Alamo, be careful as there has been some gang activity especially near dark. I have thought that I was gonna have to use a tripod as a lance several times.

lee\c

In SA go to mission San Jose and Conception, they offer the best photo ops. At San Jose be sure to check out the arches by the chapel. There are great shots to be had there. The arches are in 2 stacked rows and offer great shadow and light effects. Take some real constrasty film and you will get great results. The alamo at night offers some interesting lighting and well (please do not demote me further) In Houston the park close to the zoo might offer you something but nothing special. If I had a large format camera I would head a little south of houston to either Pasadena or Texas City (Toxic City to people form there) and shoot the refireries from a distance at night. The sky line of the refireries is something unique and can be quite interesting!!!

Here's another suggestion for Houston. The shipping canal is cool in several spots, and some nice, for Houston, coastal shots down along the water near Kemah and Seabrook. Also the battleship Texas/San Jacinto Monument. Uh lets see....Up north on the way to Kingwood Cove golf course there's this really cool swamp with Cypress trees in it on the same road as the golf course. There's no trespassing signs there, but I"ve stopped and shot it sev. times without any problems as I stayed on the main road. It's pretty cool.

Anyway, those are some suggestions.

Chris

There are probably a hundred small towns between SA and Houston that would also provide you with some unique photo ops. The old towns have not changed much in the last 40 or 50 years, including the cars and trucks on main street in some. Might be worth a 10 minute jaunt off the interstate to take a look.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin