Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,821   Online: 844

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

travel w cameras

hi
    i am leaving for europe soon and would love some advise as to what formats to take and if i need to do anything for customs comming and going. i have a wisner 4 x 5 c330 canon 20 d i ahve a 90 mm 135 mm 210mm 300mm for the 4x5 65mm 135mm and 180mm for the c330 and 16-35mm 24- 70mm and 70 - 200 for the canon i will be on the sea cloud (a sailing ship) going down the coast of spain to lisbon . i am at a total loss what to take. is the c330 enough for film landscapes ect alnog with the canon or should i take the the wisner.
    thanks for any help you can give.
    mitch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I travel I ALWAYS make the mistake of taking too much gear. Travel light. Your back and shoulders will thank you for it in the end
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wager123 View Post
    hi
    i am leaving for europe soon and would love some advise as to what formats to take and if i need to do anything for customs comming and going. i have a wisner 4 x 5 c330 canon 20 d i ahve a 90 mm 135 mm 210mm 300mm for the 4x5 65mm 135mm and 180mm for the c330 and 16-35mm 24- 70mm and 70 - 200 for the canon i will be on the sea cloud (a sailing ship) going down the coast of spain to lisbon . i am at a total loss what to take. is the c330 enough for film landscapes ect alnog with the canon or should i take the the wisner.
    thanks for any help you can give.
    mitch
    You're going to be on a sailing ship - bobbing along with the ocean waves and wakes. Why take the 4x5 unless there are significant onshore stops? And those are likely to be port calls - not excursions into the countryside.

So I'd skip the 4x5 altogether.

Then, I'd take the entire 330 kit which will cover the range from landscape to close-in for film.

As to the 20D - I'd take the 70-200 (but might sneak the 24-70 into my wife's bag when she isn't looking )

I'd leave the digi-wide at home. Film is better for the landscapes and you'll have that covered with the 330.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd echo what George said almost exactly. Except, I might not trust the lens with your wife!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wager123 View Post
    hi
    i will be on the sea cloud (a sailing ship) going down the coast of spain to lisbon .
    mitch
    Hi Mitch,

Where is your trip starting?

I live in the Spanish North coast, near Bilbao, in the Basque Country.

Cheers
    Alfonso

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Rather than start a new thread I'm going to tag onto this one.
    I'm going to be making a couple of international trips outside of the USA this year and have some questions:

(1) I'm going to take a SLR camera and two lenses. Do I pack these in the checked luggage or carry-on?
    (2) Do I put the film in the checked or carry-on luggage?
    (3) What about the X-raying of exposed film?

Thanks....
    (2)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Everything in carryon - prevents theft and gets xrayed a lot more gently. Checked cameras will be bounced or borrowed, checked film is likely to be fogged.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    c330 with a wide and tele.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah, everything carry on. I routinely travel with a pair of rangefinders and a couple of lenses and some film. Make sure the film goes carry on and you shouldn't have any problems with xrays.

I tend to travel light, so the only thing that gets checked in is crap I don't care about getting damaged, i.e. clothes and toothpaste. And I try my hardest not to check that stuff in either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Man (or woman) it's all up to you. I like to come home with a trophy shot of every trip... perhaps I would take the Wisner and 2 lenses. It's all about what you want to take. Generally anymore my wife and kids don't have patience for my view camera.
    I feel most liberated with my Richo Diacord (lighter than that c330).
    I just got a Nikonos to mess with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin