Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,396   Online: 780

Thread: Tucson area?

I'm going to be in Tucson for a week of boring engineering seminars and am planning on bringing my camera equipment. I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions on interesting places to take pictures. The Class runs 0730-1630 so I'm looking for good evening and/or night shots.

Also, I'm driving from San Diego and if there are any interesting locals between here and there, I wouldn't mind the opportunity to get out and stretch my legs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would stop over at the Salten Sea area. That ought to test your zone system skills. Nearly every thing is white.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My initial thought was to go straight out I-8. I haven't looked at a map yet, but I seem to recall that 10 runs through Pheonix and 8 runs through Tucson. Besides, I start closer to 8.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Aggie...

Good memory. It is Zzyzzx. A good hangman word!

Anyway there's a dry lake bed at the end of that road with a mountain range on the far side. Just beautiful when storms are sweeping over the desert.

dgh

David G Hall

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I-10 dips down from Phoenix into Tucson and then heads out towards New Mexico. The oddity being that to go north to Phoenix you have to take I-10 westbound.

I-8 intersects I-10 south of Phoenix. It is the best way to go if you are coming from San Diego....at least time-wise. Not much on the road there that I remember, but I was traveling with guests and trying to make time. Quartzite could be interesting this time of year just for the acres and acres of retirees in RVs. Be careful outside of Yuma though around Wellton. Big speed trap. Trust me on this one.

As for shooting at night, I guess it depends on what you are interested in shooting. Also when are you coming? THe days are getting longer, and you might just be able to get to to a good vantage point right after the class lets out for some sunset pictures.

For night shooting, you might want to look into doing some street work if that is up your alley. Any place by the UofA is good for that.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

I will be in Tucson the week of 2/24/03. I plan on driving out on 2/23 and haven't decided if I'm comming back on the 28th or 3/1. It may depend on whether I can scare up some tickets to spring training or not.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin