Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,735   Online: 1250

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I will be in Moab, UT the week of March 16 to 22, and I noticed the full Moon is early that week. Does anyone have suggestions for unique perspectives to catch Moonrise in the area (Arches or Canyonlands NPs etc)?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    There are several places in Arches NP that would put you with an easterly view toward the rising moon. I would recommend that you drive through before the fact to scout out your vantage point. It has been a number of years since I visited there.

Additionally, If you want a long time exposure, or multiple exposure opportunity take hwy 191 south from Moab toward Blanding. Appr 30 miles, as I recall, you will come to a turn off to the right. (Just past the LaSal jct. about 8-10 miles.) Take the right turn off and proceded wnw... when you come to a fork in the road take the left juncture. This will take you to the needles overlook. At the needles overlook you will have a southerly and southwesterly view. A daylight shot of the needles followed by a second exposure with the moon above, however many hours later that would be, would probably be an unusual and interesting shot. It would certainly be different then all of the arch shots that usually are the product of that area. If you are up to camping, there were places that were available when I last visited there...a truly memorable night in my experience.

Good luck and I hope that you share your experiences when you return.

Regards,

Donald Miller
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Whangaparaoa Peninsula, New Zealand. We've been getting incredible moonrises over the ocean here. The last full moon was gargantuan as it rose up, couldn't believe our eyes.

Try panorama point or Cleopatras chair. Both on the west side of canyonlands. Wish I was there. Ken

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've been out (by pure happenstance) for the last two full moons in Southern Utah, January in San Rafael Sweel, and last weekend at Bryce.

The best moonshots will be on the 16th, just before the full moon, when you still have some light on the landscape. The 17th and on the moon comes up too late, but you can do some nice long-exposure landscapes lit by the full moon after the 17th.

During winter, of course, the full moon comes up from the ENE direction.

I've always been parital to a moonrise shot with a long lens at Fisher Towers (about 20 miles NE of Moab), but in winter it might be a bit of a trick positioning yourself to get the Towers between the camera and the moonrise without the mesa behind the towers getting in the way.

The Windows section of Arches might be oriented nicely for a shot including Turret arch, and of course there is the obligatory balancing Rock with Moon shot.

Shooter
    Large Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sean @ Feb 19 2003, 09:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Whangaparaoa Peninsula, New Zealand.&nbsp; We&#39;ve been getting incredible moonrises over the ocean here.&nbsp; The last full moon was gargantuan as it rose up, couldn&#39;t believe our eyes. </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    So where is the darn picture?.....what you just sat there and did not take a pic?.....Thanks for sharing with the rest of us buddy&#33;

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wish I has the setup for it. All I have right now is my leica with 28mm lens which would not have turned out very nice. my 8x10 still has no lenses or accessories yet (we needed furniture for the house,,, a lot of funiture). Oh well, one of these days&#33;

Shooter
    Large Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sean @ Feb 23 2003, 07:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I wish I has the setup for it. All I have right now is my leica with 28mm lens which would not have turned out very nice. my 8x10 still has no lenses or accessories yet (we needed furniture for the house,,, a lot of funiture). Oh well, one of these days&#33; </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Naw, naw, you dont get away with it that easy, I know you have a (gasp) digigizmo......heck, you could have given us a nice desktop image.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hey Aggie...

How is that new spot meter working out? Still loving it or are you finding its limitations?

dgh

David G Hall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin