Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,440   Online: 700

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    We're from Zadar (formerly Zara) on the Dalmatian coast. I'm sure the information would be welcome by more than me. Thanks Again.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Using a monopod is a good suggestion. It works well for me in very crowded streets in Firenze or New York City.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I was in venice in 2006. I took my Mamiya 645 on a carbon fiber monopod. It was so much easier than a tripod.
    When I was there, I saw one 4x5 on a tripod and one or 2 35mm camera on tripods. It also depends on the time of year.
    If you go when its slow, i dont think anyone will really mind.
    IIRC there is a tourist help line that could confirm if there are any new regulations.
    -ian mazursky nyc
    www.prepressexpress.com PrePress for photographers.
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too hope to have this figured out when I go there. I hope I don't have to take two cameras with me just to able to use a tripod and larger format sometimes. I wanted to go before now but it will be a year before I can go, it's the economy. I had my 645 in Paris and every time I used it I wished I was using a larger format and on a tripod. There just wasn't the chance to use a tripod there. Maybe a 4x5 Graphic type?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I took a Benbo trekker with my Bronica ETRSi. I found it much less hassle using a tripod in Italy than an the UK these days. Just be aware that many of the streets of Venice are very narrow. Early morning in February is to be highly recommended!

Enjoy the trip!

Rob

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I'm booked for mid-Feb. Basically I'm the only person staying in Venice based on the responses I received from every discount joint I tried.
    very excited about going 'home' "..torno a serenissima .."

btw : This place looks great for the cheap photographer looking for bright open views, clean rooms, and a place near neighborhoods and stations; they offered me a room with private bath for 30/35 euro:

http://www.casagerottocalderan.com/

Thanks again,
    Victor
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might consider the following as an alternative to a tripod: whenever I know that I will be shooting in crowded or tripod-unfriendly places (churches, museums, busy streets,etc) I only carry my Rolleicord, a short cable release and a large sock not quite filled with rice that has -obviously- been sewn up. I use the sock to level the Rolleicord on pews, benches, stones -whatever. And if I want a higher point on which to steady the camera I look for a wall, place the sock on it and press the camera onto the sock (since the image is square it does not matter whether the camera is held vertically or horizontally); once I have focused I shoot with the cable release, still pressing the camera tightly against the wall. You can shoot at practically any speed this way. Both the sock and the Rollei travel easily in a winter coat's pocket.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic;btw : This place looks great for the cheap photographer looking for bright open views, clean rooms, and a place near neighborhoods and stations; they offered me a room with private bath for 30/35 euro:

[url
    http://www.casagerottocalderan.com/[/url]
    Looks great for the price. And they offer "clean and comforting rooms"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sestiere di Castello I part is dedicated to Vic and his feeling, as Dalmata, to going home when walking in the Riva degli Schiavoni, he is right: the Riva is dedicated from the Venetian to all the towns, villages and people who lived on the east coast of the Adriatic sea, la Dalmazia e i Dalmati.
    Benvenuto nella Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia.
    This is a tour in one part of Venice not too much see by tourists and with a real life (how long I’m unable to say). Have a detailled map in your hands to avoid lost.
    Battello Linea 1 Fermata Giardini if you arrive by sea.
    Riva degli Schiavoni that became riva dei Sette Martiri if you arrive by feet.
    In front of the boat stop take the calle to Chiesa di San Iseppo, interesting altar on the left dedicated to the Lepanto Battle with a pronunced Arab influence. Bridge in front of the church arrive in Secco Marina turn on left and take first road right Calle delle Furlane where all the people coming from Venezia Giulia most east region in Itally immigrated in Venice when capital. You will see this tipical houses from that part of Italy. At the end of this calle you will turn to right until a wooden bridge that led you on the island of S. Pietro in Castello, take a look from the bridge to the view of ancient boatyards. You can enter in the Basilica di San Pietro, on your left you will see the cattedra of S. Pietro, interesting the use of incripted Arab marble. Take the steel bridge in front of you and will arrive in one of the most real Venexia part. Calle Larga and on the left Campo Ruga passing in Calle and Fondamenta Riello and then you will cross Calle S. Gioacchino and then in the same Fondamenta until you will arrive in Via Garibaldi, this is a very active (one of the last) part of Venexia.
    Along Via Garibaldi you will find many palces to drink or eat (Osterie e Bacari) at the end on right the trattoria “Sottoprova” where you could have Venetian dishes. In front of you there is an ancient house of prow shape, it is the house of the Caboto family ancient navigators. You will take now Riva degli Shiavoni here you could visit the Museo Navale where there are many memories of sea story of Venexia, after that take on your right Fondamenta Arsenale until ponte del Paradiso before you can visit with the same ticket, if I remember well, the Ships section of the Museo Navale. Then you will see the magnificient Arsenale, take a close view of the entrance of Arsenale and good photos.
    May be you want to rest and eat, two suggestions: Corte Sconta in Calle del Pestrin (looking at the lions take on left and at the end of the Fondamenta you will cross a small iron bridge and you are arrived) Al Covo in campiello della Pescheria near the above. They are not cheap, but they will serve excellent fish in Venetian recipes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello,

Here are some articles about shooting in Venice.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...ays/010223.htm
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...ays/010302.htm
    maybe you can get some inspiration from the writer Frank van Riper

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin