Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,235   Online: 875

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dear Victor.
    This part of Venexia tour is dedicated to the islands in the north part of the lagoon. They make you happy as photographer because…..no apology of places I like so much. Take films with you and make a very slow visit.

Islands
    S. Lazzaro degli Armeni.
    It is near the Lido and it is a piece of Armenia in the lagoon.
    The cloister is a special place of Armenian Mechitaristi monks where Byron used to go. A very silent place.
    Torcello
    You can reach this island in the north east of the lagoon with a boat at Fondamenta nuove. It will reach first Burano and then Torcello.
    Torcello was the island where the people from Altino went when the Barbars arrived in the North East of Italy after the Roman Empire. The island were more populated then now and with more buildings, chueches. You can see after a walk along a canal and the Pionte del Diavolo the magnificient Cattedrale builted durino the Bisanzio era , look at the floor and if it is possibile make a visit to the bell tower toh ave a vision from it of this fascinatine part of the laguna. Durino your walk to the island you will pass in front of the Locanda Cipriani, famous for its charme where Hemingay used to stay drinking Amarone.
    Burano
    Some very colorfull houses will appear when in Burano, an island of fishermans with canals and little boats.
    It will worth a visit to walk around and make a rest in some restaurant to have fish dishes as “Sarde in saor”. For this pur pose you can cross the bridge to small island of Mazorbo to the restaurant “Ai cacciatori”. Others reatsurants are “Al gatto nero”, “Ai pescatori”.
    It was the capital of merletto (lace), you can visit a very interesting museum dedicated to this very ancient art.
    San Francesco del deserto.
    It is, if I remember well, the boat stop before Burano.
    I don’t want to add nothing more about S.Francesco because it will speak to your eyes when you will start to see it in the lagoon.
    Prepare your eyes.

There will be the last chapter next days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I have a good solution for you! These babies are strong & you can use them anywhere. I determined that the strongest one (shown in the link) will hold my Hassy w/80mm lens and the 90deg veiwfinder!

http://www.joby.com/products/gorillapod/slrzoom/
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Large Format
    Have enough time for the last chapter of personal guide of Venice or Vic you are just in Venexia?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ongarine,

Vic left for Venezia on Monday - but please, go ahead with another of your routes!
    Vic has a laptop with him, so I guess he'll be checking on Apug - but your "routes" will also be more than welcome by others planning the trip
    With a little luck, I'll be meeting Vic in Venice on Saturday, so you will have at least one grateful reader.

Denis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dear readers.
    This is the last part of Venexia tour and will bring you outside of the town in a long stripe of sand that is the border of the lagoon. From that position you will discover uncommon vision of Venexia and laggon. You will take a day for this tour and with patience if you will go by boat and feet and with good legs if you will rent a bycicle to go on the streets of the Lido.
    You will use the boat number 6 from S. Marco and others lines from others part of the towns, ask to the boat-information.
    When you arrive in the Lido the best is, as told, to rent a bycicle or use, if I remember well the autobus, the stripe of sands is more than ten Km. This is the barrier between the sea and the lagoon where the Serenissima to protect the town from hig tides built the Murazzi. Thre are two ancient villages on this long island: San Nicolò in the north part and Malamocco in the center, but it will worth a visit the whole island because it is fascinating and above all because you will see Venexia from another perspective.
    Tle Lido architecture is a mixing of a notable Liberty and some fascist regime buildings and ancient and modern fortress, some made by Venetian during the years and some made during last War. Ay the end of the stripe there is a little village: Alberoni, from that point you will see the entrance of the lagoon where the Serenissima Repubblica build defenses against invaders and you will have interesting and afscinating points of views. Malamocco is an ancient village in which you will find very nice atmoshere all along the streets (narrow) and the little squares and canals, it is a sort of a miniature of Venexia. Take your time in this village it will make you quiet, if you are hungry the "Locand da Scarso" will make you happy. Coming back to Lido and going to the north end of th island you will arrive in the San Nicolò village. Here you will find under some cypress a very old and magic place, it is the Jewish cemetery and near it there is the Protestan cemetery. There is also an interesting church and a monastery but the vision of Venexia from this point will capture your eyes. If you want more take a look of the ancient small airport near San Nicolò........all this stripe of sands called Lido will deserve beatiful visions and I hope interesting pictures.

Denis, a small surprise for Vic and you, if this weakening flu will let me before the week end I will be in Venexia, Saturday and Sunday, to obtain my bonus: a glass of wine together in Venexia
    Take contact with me if you want.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ongarine, you have a PM!

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I'm IN VENICE now...I'm meeting Denis there very early Saturday morning. The more the merrier!
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those who watched this thread with interest, there is some eye candy attached

For me, the visit to Venice was fabulous - all the more so because of the good company!

It was cold and VERY foggy, but the atmosphere was great. My meagre photographic skills do not do it justice...

Anyway, I'm going back... In just two days - this time with the family, so I'll be taking fewer photos than the last time, but what the heck... I'ts worth visiting any time of year, with or without the camera.

Denis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 03-gond.jpg   02_Venezia09.jpg   02_Venezia12.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ongarine,

Thanks for pointing out so many nice places, I definitely will visit many of them.
    From next week I will be in the neighbourhood of Venice (staying in Ca pasquali) for about 3 weeks.
    I will at least go twice to Venice, the first boat will leave Punta Sabbione at 05:15 I will be at a proper time in Venice.

Mike
    --Mike

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin